Babies on the Brain
Options

Vent re: breastfeeding and MIL.

So we are going on a cruise in 36 days. I am still EBF'ing. MIL was asking if I will start him on formula before the cruise. I said that I wouldn't unless my supply doesn't keep up. (i've been dieting and exercising and my supply has suffered a bit as of late). She acted indignant and asked how she would feed the baby. I explained I have frozen stores of milk and will be pumping if necessary, otherwise I can always come by her room if he needs to eat. She said "what are you going to do, let him TELL you when he wants to stop nursing?!" I said "he's only 8 moths old!!!" I said that R self-weaned and I know A will eat less as he is eating more solids but that i'm not going to give him formula if I don't need to.

I really hate feeling badgered about nursing. It's expensive to buy formula and why would I do that when I can nurse? DH is super supportive which I love. I'm just frustrated with her thinking that because A is bigger  and got teeth sooner that I should stop nursing sooner.

I try to be as straight-forward as I can and I do stick up for myself but I wish she would understand that I'm doing what's best. Grrr

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Vent re: breastfeeding and MIL.

• Options
    That sounds like it completely sucks, but yay you for standing your ground! Hopefully she'll STFU about it

"I stammered, unable to form a coherent thought because I have a vagina."

• Options
    Don't you just love when people tell you what you should do with your children? Props to you for standing up for yourself.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageprincess101:

So we are going on a cruise in 36 days. I am still EBF'ing. MIL was asking if I will start him on formula before the cruise. I said that I wouldn't unless my supply doesn't keep up. (i've been dieting and exercising and my supply has suffered a bit as of late). She acted indignant and asked how she would feed the baby. I explained I have frozen stores of milk and will be pumping if necessary, otherwise I can always come by her room if he needs to eat. She said "what are you going to do, let him TELL you when he wants to stop nursing?!" I said "he's only 8 moths old!!!" I said that R self-weaned and I know A will eat less as he is eating more solids but that i'm not going to give him formula if I don't need to.

I really hate feeling badgered about nursing. It's expensive to buy formula and why would I do that when I can nurse? DH is super supportive which I love. I'm just frustrated with her thinking that because A is bigger  and got teeth sooner that I should stop nursing sooner.

I try to be as straight-forward as I can and I do stick up for myself but I wish she would understand that I'm doing what's best. Grrr

I would have told her that if she has such a problem with HIM deciding when to ween, she should certainly understand how little HER opinion matters. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    She sure sounds like my mom and aunt.  My MIL brought over to cans of formula to me the other that she RANDOMLY got in the mail.  Wtf did she sign up for? And I just smiled and said, thanks but i'm still nursing but I can donate these.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Sounds like your H needs to tell his mom to knock it off.

Om nom nom
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Good for you for sticking to your guns. How you feed your child is none of her business. Stay strong.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageGhostMonkey:
    imageprincess101:

So we are going on a cruise in 36 days. I am still EBF'ing. MIL was asking if I will start him on formula before the cruise. I said that I wouldn't unless my supply doesn't keep up. (i've been dieting and exercising and my supply has suffered a bit as of late). She acted indignant and asked how she would feed the baby. I explained I have frozen stores of milk and will be pumping if necessary, otherwise I can always come by her room if he needs to eat. She said "what are you going to do, let him TELL you when he wants to stop nursing?!" I said "Why yes, that sounds like a lovely plan." I said that R self-weaned and I know A will eat less as he is eating more solids but that i'm not going to give him formula if I don't need to.

There. I fixed it.

Yes 

• Options
    I seriously don't understand what is wrong with people anymore. It's not like it's the movie Grown Ups where you have a kid who is practically in kindergarten walking up to get some boob.
    WDE!!! Pictures, Images and Photos Auburn Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DD1- 12/26/05 DD2- 4/12/12
  • Options
    That sucks. She also needs to understand that YOU are the mom. You get to make the decisions.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    imageBirdies08:
    imageGhostMonkey:
    imageprincess101:

So we are going on a cruise in 36 days. I am still EBF'ing. MIL was asking if I will start him on formula before the cruise. I said that I wouldn't unless my supply doesn't keep up. (i've been dieting and exercising and my supply has suffered a bit as of late). She acted indignant and asked how she would feed the baby. I explained I have frozen stores of milk and will be pumping if necessary, otherwise I can always come by her room if he needs to eat. She said "what are you going to do, let him TELL you when he wants to stop nursing?!" I said "Why yes, that sounds like a lovely plan." I said that R self-weaned and I know A will eat less as he is eating more solids but that i'm not going to give him formula if I don't need to.

There. I fixed it.

Yes 

Ditto

High-risk L&D nurse...If in doubt, go to triage!

Trevor Calvin 12.10.07 7:26pm 7lbs2.5oz 19.75in

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Emerson Claire 07.07.11 11:34am 7lbs7oz 20.5 in

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Your baby is 8 MONTHS old, not 8 YEARS old.  Stick to your guns.  Sorry she's being such a PITA.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Love the way you fixed that GhostMonkey! Wish I had said that!

I'm TOTALLY sticking to my guns. DH is super supportive of me and knows how his mom is. My mom, on the other hand, is the most supportive, awesome mom ever. She pretty much says what you guys say. :P 

I think sometimes people see A and think he's older because he's a big boy and has teeth but he's still very much a baby. He's my sweet boy. The last couple days I've been upping my calories a bit and milk supply is back. Yay! I may lose weight a little slower but it'll be worth it! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"