Pre-School and Daycare

Traditional Preschool vs. Montessori

Hello all,

I'm curious as to what the difference really is between a traditional preschool and a montessori preschool. Right now my son is in a catholic preschool (3yr old program), but he has a very hard time sitting in class, even for 10 minutes. The principal at the school wants to hold him back from going into the 4 year old program next year. He turns 4 in September and the cut-off is October 1st. I feel like holding him back would be a rash decision and I want to be sure that I explore all options for my son before I make a decision like that.

I was hoping some of you might be able to share your experiences... 

Thank you so much for any help you can offer...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Traditional Preschool vs. Montessori

• Really?? Holding a 3 year old back because they won't sit still?? My daughter is full of super energy and its a miracle if I can get her to sit long enough to finish coloring a page in her coloring books. I'd say check out another preschool and compare. Maybe your son isn't getting enough play time in the one he's in now and his energy isn't getting out. Unless there are other aspects about your child that the instructor is noticing I wouldn't hold him back.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 10 minutes is a long time to expect a 3 year old to sit still.  I'm a preschool teacher and have many children who can and do, but I absolutely attribute that to the child's natural energy level and would not see it as a sign that a child isn't ready to move up.  I have plenty of other bright and interesting children with lots of energy who move around constantly and generally choose not to sit still; they flit from project to project and dabble in many things.  I agree with the PP...maybe he isn't getting enough play time or maybe there is something else the principal sees...but if the sitting issue is their reasoning, I would be looking for another school. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Montessori has more of an indipendent learing style, which may benefit your son. I def think you should check one out, and check out another preschool in your area, jsut to compare. I know the YMCAs by me offer a Reggio program, which is also independent learning, but more of a creative based play.

• imageLisaMinFL:

I know the YMCAs by me offer a Reggio program, which is also independent learning, but more of a creative based play.

This isn't correct, actually. Reggio is child led but the classes as a group actually determine what they do. My son is in a Reggio school and it is based on similar philosophies as Montessori but Montessori is more independent and Reggio is not. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"