North Florida Babies

tallahassee obgyn and ped

My hubby and I are moving to the Tallahassee area in December.  We have an almost 1 year old so I'm looking for recommendations for pediatricians.  We're also trying for baby #2 so I'll be needing a new OBGYN, any suggestions? Also, hospital suggestions?  I am looking for a dr/hospital that will be supportive of a non-medicated birth. A midwife isn't covered by my insurance, unfortunately, so we cannot go that route.

Any information you ladies could provide would be very much appreciated!

Re: tallahassee obgyn and ped

• I use North Florida Womens care and love them. My OB is Dr. Mckinnie, though they have several. I won't deliver at Capital Regional since they don't have a NICU. With my last, we had an unmedicated birth. I was allowed to labor in the tub and the L&D Nurse was supportive, encouraging and let me do my own thing. She only intervened once to just hold the heartbeat monitor on my belly for a minute at the end. It was a wonderful experience. Our ped is in Crawfordville so i am not much help on peds in Tallahassee.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thank you so much for the OBGYN info, that's really helpful!
  • Loading the player...
  • We use North Florida Pediatrics (Dr. Keoppel).  She is great and has supported us with our desire to spread out the vax instead of giving them all at once each appointment.

As far as OB/GYN, check out Gynecology & Obtetrics Associates (https://www.obgyntallahassee.com/)  They have 3 OB/GYN's (just got the thris dr recent;y) and 3 midwives on staff.  I saw the midwives (Carol is AWESOME) and she delivered my son in a non-medicated birth at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital (TMH).  There are a total of 3 midwives on staff now and my whole pregnancy I saw either Carol or Jane (the other midwife) and saw Dr. Ramsey once when I hit 40 weeks.  I love that they midwives had no problem with me carrying my son until 42 weeks before they wanted to induce (my son was 11 days overdue)  I can tell you that I saw the midwives but was "assigned" a doctor (Dr. Ramsey, love him as well!) to oversee everything.  I know that when my insurance was billed for the delivery it was billed under Dr. Ramsey's name, not the midwife who delivered!

I delivered at TMH and the labor/delivery nurses I had were really supportive of my decision to have an unmedicated birth and were great at following the birth plan Dh and I created.

Another great practice is Azalea Women's Healthcare, the also have 2 OB/GYN's and 3 midwives and I was at that practice when I first got PG but had to switch due to insurance changes with my employer. 

I know that some ladies will suggest North Florida Womens Care but I feel that they are WAY too big of a practice (13 or so doctors) and I have known many people who use them that either have terribly long waits for appointment times or were not given the chance to deliver the way they wanted to.  I was also not a fan of having to see so many dcotor who really didn't know me or my pregnancy. 

If you have any questions about Ob/Gyn Associates, feel free to PM me!  I can even break out my old paper work and let you know what they charged me for my prenatal visits/delvery & 6weeks PP exam.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with North Florida Womens Care.  I delivered at TMH (mainly bc they had a NICU just in case).  They also have the labor tubs in all the rooms which is great.  We did have constant monitoring but I was able to get out of bed, walk around some, and a lot of bouncing on the ball.
  • Definitely North Florida Women's Care... I see Dr. Friall and she's awesome :)
  • imageKristin&Kelly09:

We use North Florida Pediatrics (Dr. Keoppel).  She is great and has supported us with our desire to spread out the vax instead of giving them all at once each appointment.

As far as OB/GYN, check out Gynecology & Obtetrics Associates (https://www.obgyntallahassee.com/)  They have 3 OB/GYN's (just got the thris dr recent;y) and 3 midwives on staff.  I saw the midwives (Carol is AWESOME) and she delivered my son in a non-medicated birth at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital (TMH).  There are a total of 3 midwives on staff now and my whole pregnancy I saw either Carol or Jane (the other midwife) and saw Dr. Ramsey once when I hit 40 weeks.  I love that they midwives had no problem with me carrying my son until 42 weeks before they wanted to induce (my son was 11 days overdue)  I can tell you that I saw the midwives but was "assigned" a doctor (Dr. Ramsey, love him as well!) to oversee everything.  I know that when my insurance was billed for the delivery it was billed under Dr. Ramsey's name, not the midwife who delivered!

Sorry I am so late to the party but I agree with all of this! The 3 midwives are amazing at that practice. I was assigned Dr Ramsey too. The midwives deliver, but the Dr on call will step in if anything out of the ordinary happens during labor and delivery. Jane delivered my baby and was awesome - very supportive and helped to keep me from tearing (I only had a small internal tear). The midwives spend a lot of time with you at your appointments and will always take time to answer questions. I'm not a fan of their new doctor (White) but I only saw her once just so I could meet her.

I didn't love my experience at TMH - had some awful nurses but some really great ones too. The pp rooms are very small. The ones at Capital Regional are much bigger/nicer. However, my OB's office only delivers at TMH so that was my only choice. 

I also take my daughter to Dr Koeppel at North FL Peds. I grew up going to that office seeing Dr Walker. I love Dr K - she called me at 10 pm at night when DD was a week old to check on her after we had some testing done earlier that day.  I know a lot of people who use her. She's great. The office can be a little slow at seeing you, though. I've waited over an hour when they were backed up. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for all of the info! We're seeing Dr. Koepple (although she was too backed up to see him for his 1 year so we saw the NP who I loved as well).  I'm not used to such a small office or the long wait times, but it sounds like it will be worth it!  I am going to North Florida Women's Care and seeing Dr. Sunstrom.  I really like his bedside manner, he is very similar in personality to the dr that delivered my son in Ohio.

I'm hoping to have a positive birthing experience at TM but it seems as though it could be hit or miss! I wish I could go to the other hospital, but we live 40 mins from TM as it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"