School-Aged Children
Options

Sibling/Baby Advice!

Hello all! I'm new to this site and looking for some advice. My husband and I have 2 children. Our DS is 6 (1st grade) and our DD is 4 1/2 (preschool). We had them younger 22 and 24 and have decided to try to have a third baby, TTC this Summer. We are very excited about another baby but I'm nervous about how this will impact our children. They will be 6 and 8 when the baby is born, if we are able to get pregnant right away. Any advice or words of wisdom from mothers who have been through this would be greatly welcome. I'm nervous and excited about essentially starting over again! I will have to buy new everything!

Re: Sibling/Baby Advice!

• Options
    Well, we're half way there.  What I've learned so far, my 6 y/o DS is handling it very differently than my 4.5 y/o DD.  I was 6.5 when my little sister was born and remember being more excited about it, like my DD is.  My DS is very apprehensive and worried about what this means for him.  Not sure if that is a boy thing or attributable to the fact that he's older.  He has had some difficulty voicing his apprehensions to us, so be on the lookout for that.  We have had to do some reassuring that, while things will change, we will still have lots of love and attention left for him.  I already have some one on one time with DD each week b/c she is out of school before DS, but have had to make a conscious effort to have one on one time with DS since it is harder to fit in with his activities.  That has helped a lot and I will continue it after the baby comes. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    My first 2 were 6 1/2 and 4 when we had our 3rd son, and they were, and still are great with him, and about having another sibling.
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My older two were 4 1/2 and 6 when my youngest was born.  They were so excited about having a younger sibling and still are 99% of the time.  I loved that they were both in school during the day so that I was able to spend one on one time with the baby.  With them being only 21 months apart I didn't really get to enjoy #2 being a baby-it was purely survival mode for the first 6 months.  

My middle and youngest sometimes get into it with each other but I think that's more a personality issue than birth order/age issue. 

If I had to to it again I would keep the spacing that we have-I love having a big gap between #2 and 3.   

• Options

Well I asked my daughter if I could have another child when she was 4 and she said she wasn't ready, so I waited. ( I don't care how ridiculous this sounds) lol. 6/15/2011 she ASKED me for a baby brother or sister. Now we are expecting # 2 and my daughter is elated. 

I would sit them down and explain how much you love them and how awesome they are, and because they turned out so well, You've decided there should be another child in the family, and they will get to meet him or her soon. It's important to let them know they haven't done anything wrong, and that you love them. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"