Houston Babies
Options

PSA: Nursing mothers, mammograms, biopsies

Today I went for two biopsies on my breast to sample some tissue my mammograms spotted.

According to the breast expert, I should have waited before doing a baseline mammogram until I was not breastfeeding anymore.

The doctor who ordered the mammogram as part of my standard physical knew I am still breastfeeding, but did not pause at all to order the mammogram.

I had no reason, other than routine, to do a mammogram. I know there are exceptions. I am not that exception.

So, the breast expert explained that I had to do the biopsies, because they cannot ignore what they've seen. However, it is probably just normal calcium deposits that occur in breastfeeding moms...

Now, I have to stop breastfeeding a few months before my 6-month follow-up mammogram, or risk there being other breast-feeding related calcium deposits that will warrant further investigation (biopsies).

As you can see...this is a vicious cycle. I am weaning my 2.5 year old, but I would hate this to happen to someone earlier in their feeding process. I hate that it happened to me...

In most cases, the doc explained, they do not want mammograms for nursing mothers. It just isn't the best plan, unless there is more than routine. 

Thought I'd mention it here in case someone else is in my shoes. And, I'm pretty confident all tests will prove normal (fingers crossed). 

Re: PSA: Nursing mothers, mammograms, biopsies

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"