Georgia Babies
Options

Thyroid issues and need rec

Hi ladies.  I don't frequent this board, but I'm hoping some of you can help me.  I've lived in Georgia (Mall of Georgia area) for the past 5 years, but I don't really have any friends here other than coworkers to ask for recommendations. 

I'm looking for recs on an endocrinologist in the area.  If you know of a good one, please let me know!  (I already visited one, but my Primary Care Dr would like me to get a second opinion at another one of my choice since we both were wary of advice the first one gave.)

Also, has anyone had any thyroid issues after giving birth?  I started having issues 3.5 months postpartum, and now 2 months later I'm feeling much better, but my body still feels off.  How long did it take you to feel normal again?  Did you have to take meds?

Thanks!

Re: Thyroid issues and need rec

• Options
    I don't have the same thyroid issues exactly but instead have nodules.  I previously went to Atlanta Diabetes Associates but had not the greatest experience with the office and my dr is not even there any more.  Recently, I saw Reshma Patel at Piedmont Endocrinology and liked her pretty well.  My labs were close but not 100% clear cut so I'm actually going to keep an appointment I have with Kate Wheeler of the Laureate Medical Group.  I understand she's pretty well-known and I had to wait about 3 months for the appt.  I would try her first.  Good luck and hope you're well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I go to Dr. Rachel Derr at CMED (connected to St. Joseph's) and LOVE her.  I have hypothyroid, and had a case of "thyroiditis" after giving birth.  Not sure if that's your issue or not.  She's very knowledgeable and returns calls back (usually personally) very quickly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i can't give a rec, but i can tell you my thyroid was fine until after baby #1.  i was hypothyroid and wasn't diagnosed until 9 mo pp.  i am still on meds now almost 3 years later (from diagnosis)  I have altered my dose a few times, but basically i've been at the same level the whole time.  i have to get my thyroid checked every 4-6 months.

i have never been to see an endocrinologist though 

• Options

imagesusangilchrist:
    I go to Dr. Rachel Derr at CMED (connected to St. Joseph's) and LOVE her.  I have hypothyroid, and had a case of "thyroiditis" after giving birth.  Not sure if that's your issue or not.  She's very knowledgeable and returns calls back (usually personally) very quickly.

Yes, I was told that I had hyperthyroidism, most likely caused by being postpartum and that my levels may return to normal in a few months.  If they don't return to normal within a year, then I may have lifelong thyroid issues.  I'm hoping my levels normalize soon.  I've been feeling better, just a bit off.

• Options

imagelrn327:
    I don't have the same thyroid issues exactly but instead have nodules.  I previously went to Atlanta Diabetes Associates but had not the greatest experience with the office and my dr is not even there any more.  Recently, I saw Reshma Patel at Piedmont Endocrinology and liked her pretty well.  My labs were close but not 100% clear cut so I'm actually going to keep an appointment I have with Kate Wheeler of the Laureate Medical Group.  I understand she's pretty well-known and I had to wait about 3 months for the appt.  I would try her first.  Good luck and hope you're well.

Thank you for the well wishes.  Can you tell me which office location Kate Wheeler is at? 

• Options
    I see Dr Judson Black and he is absolutely wonderful. He was very highly recommended by several doctors. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease (hyperthyroidism) at 9 months PP. He is so caring, I never have a long wait at his office, and it is easy to get an appointment. He is also board certified in internal medicine. The office is located next to Northside Hospital.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Options
    I forgot to say that I took PTU for awhile and I got better. However, I caught a virus and it seemed to reactivate the Graves and I never got better until I had my thyroid completely removed. I am now on Synthroid and my dose had been stable for over a year now. Dr Black also managed me through my second pregnancy.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Options

imagesusangilchrist:

I see Dr. Derr as well. I am hypothyroid and have been since before pregnancy but am interested to see what will happen after delivery. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Mine was disgnosed during my pregnancy when I got a positive HIV test back!  Obviously I do not have HIV but that was really scary.  It turns out after seeing both an Infectious Diesease Dr. and a rheumatologist that I have Hashimoto's; which is basically a slow thyroid but it is autoimmune which throws off HIV tests.  I take thyroid medication and always will but I feel better than I have in years and I now weight 15 pounds less than before I ever got pregnant!  It didn't take long at all for me to start feeling good- probably 4-6 weeks.  Sorry, I don't have an endrocrinologist referral for you.
  • Options
    I had Graves Disease (hyperthyroid) as well- dx at 18, long before I had kids.  I was treated w/ radioactive iodine which completely "killed" my thyroid and now I'm considered hypothyroid and take levothroid.  Pregnancy and BF has messed it up both times- my levels were all over the place.  Even now, I'm 6 post weaning and still waiting for my levels to straighten out.  I go to Atlanta Diabetes but my Dr is so old that he's technically retired and not taking new patients.  I love his Nurse Practitioner- Pat Richardson- so I have stayed for her.  If she leaves the practice, I will probably find a new doc elsewhere b/c their office staff has gotten worse and worse.

• Options
    imagejonsuz:

imagesusangilchrist:

I see Dr. Derr as well. I am hypothyroid and have been since before pregnancy but am interested to see what will happen after delivery. Good luck!

No thyroid problems.  However, from personal experience I highly recommend Dr. Rachel Derr.  Excellent bedside manners and extremely knowledgeable as stated in previous post.  Wished she was a PCP.  GL

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Dr. Derr was referred to me after I had some blood work done and it was shown that I am hypothyroid.  I had an appointment with her but saw my pcp first who started me on synthroid since they work with thyroid issues in her practice too.  I cancelled my appointment with Dr. Derr but if my pcp can't get my thyroid under control by summer, I'll be making another appointment with her.  I've heard great things about her!  Oh and I'll be on synthroid for the rest of my life - hypothyroidism runs in my family.
  • Options
    I had postpartum thyroid issues. Mine started really later than normal, though, at 9 months post partum and it I went hyper for a while and I think maybe a little hypo after that. It all cleared up for me pretty quickly without any medical intervention, though. I hpoe the same goes for you. I saw Dr. Ketan at North Atlanta Endocrinology in Lawrenceville.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageslwprincess:
    I had Graves Disease (hyperthyroid) as well- dx at 18, long before I had kids.  I was treated w/ radioactive iodine which completely "killed" my thyroid and now I'm considered hypothyroid and take levothroid.  Pregnancy and BF has messed it up both times- my levels were all over the place.  Even now, I'm 6 post weaning and still waiting for my levels to straighten out.  I go to Atlanta Diabetes but my Dr is so old that he's technically retired and not taking new patients.  I love his Nurse Practitioner- Pat Richardson- so I have stayed for her.  If she leaves the practice, I will probably find a new doc elsewhere b/c their office staff has gotten worse and worse.

I'm glad (or not glad I guess) that it wasn't just me whose had a bad staff experience at Atlanta Diabetes.   

• Options
    imagemairanellis:

imagelrn327:

Thank you for the well wishes.  Can you tell me which office location Kate Wheeler is at? 

I'm seeing her at the Emory Midtown/Peachtree St office. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"