Success after IF

So does this sound like silent reflux?

For a while now, I've noticed that Harrison gets "mucusy" when he is having bad bouts of gas.   When he is straining and grunting, his breathing gets wet sounding, as if he is sick or breathing through mucus.   It has nagged at me, but when he finally calms down, his breathing gets clear again and returns to normal - so I guess I never got too worried about it.  

But, just a few minutes ago, I laid him down for a nap when he started to grunt and fuss.   I couldn't directly see him, but I heard his breathing get REALLY wet/mucusy sounding, so I went over to find a slimy mix of saliva and spit up coming out of his mouth AND nose.   He was really struggling to breath through it and it absolutely scared me.   I got him upright against my shoulder, a bit more slimy saliva drained out, and then he was fine.   Now he is napping comfortably.  

WTF was that?    I left a message for the pediatrician, because now I am terrified something like that will happen overnight and I won't wake up.    But now I am really wondering if his gas isn't actually silent reflux?  He isn't a spitter (he spits up maybe once every other day?), but something is clearly backing up into his throat, right? 

Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: So does this sound like silent reflux?

• Sounds very possible..and scary.  I'd call my pedi and ask what you can do about it!
  • Sounds very much like the silent reflux that DS2 has.....and yes, it is extremely scary.

I would go out right now and buy the Rock N Play! It was a lifesaver for us.

DS2 was never a "spitter" either and that is the difference. A silent refluxer has stuff backed up, but doesn't bring it up, hence, they don't spit. Instead they cough it back down or choke. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCMM05:

I would go out right now and buy the Rock N Play! It was a lifesaver for us.

Oh, we have a rock n' play!!!   We've had it for two weeks now, and I credit it with the good stretches of sleep we are able to get!  

• Well, the pedi called and said everything I was describing sounded like normal newborn gassy behavior.   Mind you, a very gassy newborn, but nothing abnormal and she said it didn't sound like reflux (no troubles eating, gaining weight just fine, etc.).    I still don't know, but I'm willing to wait it out a bit more.     But that kid will keep sleeping right next to my head, that's for sure.  

I'm also trying to go dairy-free and chocolate-free for a week to see if that helps.   and maybe give up tomato sauce/large quantities of tomatoes.   We'll see.    Ugh.   

• Yup! Reflux shows up in so many werid ways.. Jake would strain, grunt and then cry and spit up... He was so miserable.. I would def keep H at an incline after eating and maybe sleeping.. We had J mattress proped up w books for like 6 mnths..but it really helped. 

I will be interested to see what your pedi says! 

• Eliza had silent reflux and choked quite a bit. Scary, scary, scary. Lydia did not have reflux, but she had a ton of mucous due to her super fast labor and delivery. Both my MW and pedi said it was because her lungs did not get a good squeeze on the way out. It lasted for weeks and weeks and everyone just kept telling me it was normal. I just kept suctioing out her mouth with the bulb and her nose with the nose Frieda. MW also had me thump on her back to help loosen it up. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageemmyloustu:
    Eliza had silent reflux and choked quite a bit. Scary, scary, scary. Lydia did not have reflux, but she had a ton of mucous due to her super fast labor and delivery. Both my MW and pedi said it was because her lungs did not get a good squeeze on the way out. It lasted for weeks and weeks and everyone just kept telling me it was normal. I just kept suctioing out her mouth with the bulb and her nose with the nose Frieda. MW also had me thump on her back to help loosen it up. 

Interesting.   Both Anna and Harrison were fast deliveries, but Harrison spent even less time actually in the birth canal...  I pushed for a very very short period of time with him.    I will pull out my suction supplies.   Thanks for the insight and idea!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"