January 2011 Moms

Veggies

What kinds of veggies do your LOs eat? How do you prepare them (be specific)?

When we were doing purees, DD loved veggies, but now she won't touch them. I've tried all her favorites (and some others) and she won't eat them. I tried putting cheese on the broccoli, and she just sucked it off and threw the broccoli on the floor. I put ranch on cucumbers, same thing. I got her to eat a small amount of avacado by making it into a paste and spreading it on bread, but I'd rather not have to trick her if I can help it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Veggies

• My baby is a wackadoo.  She'll eat almost anything if green onions are on it.  I will say though that she usually doesn't like sauces, since she gets it on her hands and then is like, yuck mommy, towel plz.  The one exception is yellow curry. I told you she's a wackadoo.

If she liked it before, it's probably just textural.  Make sure you're cooking everything soft enough for her to chew with her chompers.  Mine will only rarely eat the stalk on broccoli no matter how soft I cook it, but loves the flower part.  Likewise she did not like tempura onion rings but BK onion rings were best ever (she loved the sweet potato and shrimp though, so it wasn't tempura in general).

• My dd loved pureed sweet potatoes and she'll still eat sweet potatoes just bake them in the oven and she eats them plain, but she eats almost everything. She also loves vegetable soup she'll eat the carrots and peas and potatoes whatevers in it. Try a casserole where all the veggies are soft i havent tried any raw veggies yet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • we're starting the same problem...he'd eat them pureed but now trying to feed him with a spoon turns into a wwf match, he's all about wanting to feed himself now. i used to cheat & microwave some trader joe's frozen veggies & then cut them up really small & he'd eat them but he's caught on. he likes fresh veggies sauteed (usually in olive oil) and they've got to be seasoned too (he likes black pepper, dill, rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, smoked paprika, etc). this would typically be awesome but i'm normally winging his meals & don't have 15-20mins to chop & cook something, so i need to get better about planning. the one thing he'll eat raw is mini english cucumber-with a little greek yogurt, lemon, and dill. i have to cut it really small though. i'm thinking of trying to bake something soon (either carrot muffins or zucchini bread...something where i can hide some veggies, maybe applesauce, and flax seed.) now that we're weaning off formula i really want to watch what he eats.
  • I send a cup of peas with my Joshua's lunch almost everyday.  I buy frozen ones (without salt) and just put some in a container with a little water - my mom nukes them about 30 seconds and drains them and puts them on the tray and he gobbles them right down.  He also likes carrots (steamed and cut up in small pieces) squash, greeen beans and tomatoes.  We had a meal out the other day and I gave him some sweet potato fries - he was not into those.
  • Sam is still doing purees and mashed up foods. He needs to learn how not to gag on all foods. He likes the taste of everything, just hates their textures. 

Saving this post for future reference. 

• JT is so darn picky with textures but I can't exactly figure out which textures he likes and doesn't. 

Right now, the only veggies he'll really eat are peas. I buy the Steamfresh and make them in the microwave - then freeze. Each day I'll cut a bunch off of the frozen block and nuke them - he'll eat them up!

Today he had 2 small pieces of carrots but almost had to sneak them in there - I also steam those and then freeze. Nuke for dinner.

I am not disciplined enough to cook each night the way he needs so I really like to freeze and reuse and he doesn't seem to mind. I always taste it, if I wouldn't eat it I won't give it to him.

For a while he was liking sweet potato pancakes - those were easy to make and freeze too but now he's over them. Recipe on wholesomebabyfood.com

Oh also, my dr. said to just keep offering. Don't try to force or trick - maybe the 10th time they will pick it up and eat it. So based on that everyday he gets some broccoli (he used to eat them, not sure what happened - again I buy Steamfresh or fresh broccoli and I would steam it and freeze) but everyday it ends up on the floor. 

• Kain actually eats his veggies very well - we cant get him to eat meat.  he never liked purees but he eats broccoli, peas, cooked carrots, tomato, cucumber, chews on celery but doesn't really get any of it, avocado, cauliflower, spinach - so far I don't think there is one he wont eat, I just keep offering him what we eat and he seems to enjoy the veggies. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagedebperdoo:
    Kain actually eats his veggies very well - we cant get him to eat meat. 

Have you tried deli meat? DD will not eat chunks of meat, but snatches up sliced turkey/roast beef/ham like it's going out of style.

• We're not really a veggies as a side dish type of family. Rather I'm a mom that likes a meal in casserole dish, soup pot or skillet. So usually she gets her veggies mixed in with everything else.
  • If I don't have food read, I buy frozen veggies that are cut up (peas, carrots, butternut squash, green beans, etc.) and microwave them and give them to DD. If I have food ready, she just eats what we're having. I find she likes spicier food more.

Some of things that are most successful for us:

Chicken vegetable soup (LOTS of veggies - carrot, parsnip, sweet potato, celery, onion). I take the chicken and veggies out and cut them up for her.

"Kugel" (it's an eastern European Jewish casserole - I make it with broccoli or potatoes)

Veggie pancakes - any veggie, flour/bread crumbs, egg, onion - puree and fry.

Turkey meatloaf with veggies mixed in (frozen peas and carrots, or ground carrot and celery)

Any kind of stir fry and I make spaghetti squash to put the stir fry on

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"