Postpartum Depression
Options

Question about SSRI's

I was diagnosed with PPD 2 1/2 weeks ago (after feeling this way for about 6 weeks prior). My doc prescribed 25 mg of Zoloft and after a week, I felt slightly better, but not great-they told me to double it, but had horrible nightmares, and night sweats three out of the five days on 50 mg. I spoke to my Dr. again and they suggested trying Prozac. I really don't want to take anything, but know there is some kind of imbalance-I am just not myself, I am losing my zest for life, more introverted and the only thing that makes me smile is my LO. Just not myself in geneeral, anyway the 1200.00 per month insurance we have doesnt cover counseling:(, so any suggestions regarding meds and other treatments? Also my H is a workaholic, and works from home-which drives me nuts, yet he's too busy to watch thw baby so I have time to work out, etc. ughhh..TIA
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Question about SSRI's

• Options

They told you to double it after a week! I don't think that is right. It takes a couple of weeks for your body to adjust. I think you need to talk to a different doctor asap. There is no way your doc should have expected you to feel better in a week.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Actually my question was which SSRI is the best for PPD? Also, with least side effects including weight gain yikes!

I know, that's true only one week, but he said 25mg (prescribed by his partner)-not my usual OB is not usually effective so he told me to double it and it was a judgement call (yikes, I dont know!).

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My understanding is that Zoloft is the drug of choice if you're still breastfeeding - it shows the lowest levels in the breastfed infant. Don't know of its necessarily the best for making you feel better. The "best" SSRI is simply the one that works best for a given individual

I agree with PP that 1 week is a very short time to expect a result. In the past, my psychiatrist has put me on small doses and gradually built me up over the course of many months. The symptoms you're describing (night sweats, etc) are similar to symptoms I experienced when I was on a very high dose of Prozac. I ended up reducing the prozac and ultimately switching to celexa (sp?).

Please bear in mind when you ask your doc to up your meds that all meds have side effects that generally get worse as the dose increases AND that you're probably not going to get 100% relief from your depression from meds. So you need to think carefully about what kind of a balance of depression symptoms versus med side effects you can tolerate. Also bear in mind that it will take much longer than 1 week to see results, so you may have to sit with a given dose for 2-3 months before you truly feel the full effect.

I do hope you feel better soon though. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

PP is right, the "best" one is the one that actually works for you. 

My experience:
    I was on 25 mg of Zoloft for 2 weeks before I really started to feel better.  It was only after a few weeks when it got bad again that they upped me to 50 mg and it's been much better since.  I can't speak to weight gain (since I've been maintaining, even if it's 10 lbs over my goal. sigh!), but I STILL have night sweats. at 10 months post partum!  But I'll take that over feeling like a mess.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options

Perhaps pick up a PPD book, one the focuses on CBT of Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction. If you live in the states, many hospitals offer programs that can link you with services. Check out this site, call the number and tell them your dilemma https://www.postpartum.net/

I take an SNRI, Remeron, which has been great for me, but major side effect is the same uncontrollable food cravings you get when stoned (sugar and carbs). It also makes you super sleepy, a little groggy, so if you are still doing frequent night wakings, this may be difficult. I was having major insomnia after doing night weaning AND sleep training. 

My Psychiatrist said that most drugs are the same, you pick the drug based on the side effects. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"