Natural Birth
Options

Second time around, doubting myself...

With my first pregnancy, I knew I wanted a natural birth and I was fortunately able to have one. I was overdue and in prodromal labor for about five days before I gave birth. I think in the end this actually helped me because when I finally arrived at the hospital my son was born within two hours! But now that I am just days away from my due date, I'm started to doubt whether I can do it again. Maybe it's nerves? I'm not really sure. Anyone else feel the same way? If you went natural with your first were you able to do it with your second?

Re: Second time around, doubting myself...

• Options
    I went med-free with my first, epidural with my second, and med-free with my third.   Reason being:  they were all different labours and I had different needs for them.      You know more than anyone what you can handle.   You know more of what to expect!   You can do it!    
  • Options
    Lots of good thoughts that things go the way you want them to.  With DD1 I wanted so badly to go natural but I wasn't able to since the induction brought on some complications that required me getting an epi to "slow things down" (long story) but I made it 11hrs before that happened and I was proud of that. With DD2 I didn't even try. With the complications I had and with having constant contractions for over 20hrs and sporadic ones for 2wks (plus having my labor stopped 4 times, early dilation, ect) I caved.  I did get to do it with DD3, though, and I'm going to do it again this time!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    First of all, you are AMAZING to make it 5 days through prodromal labor!!!  My step-sis went through that too, and ended up being told she MUST have a C-section, because baby was in distress.  I think if  you can make it through that, you can get through almost anything.  I agree with pp, you know your limits better than anyone else.  I was able to go natural with DD, and would really like to with this baby, but I am scared too and doubting myself.  I'm hoping that as I get closer I can strengthen my resolve, I think your mental state going in is huge.  I'm going to keep thinking about how amazing I felt afterwards that I could get up and go pee on my own, walk around, etc., and re-read DD's birth story to inspire myself.  GL, and I hope things go the way you want!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yeah, I was definitely worried I wouldn't be able to get through labor again (my first was med-free through pushing for 4+ hours, and then an unplanned c-section).

But when labor started, it was familiar enough from the last time that I was able to deal with the contractions really well. The only time I doubted myself was during transition - I was thinking I wasn't relaxing enough, but it was just that I was quite far along. It's a really common thing to worry about labor, no matter how many times you've been through it before :).

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

I went med-free both times. And I wont lie, the second time around I questioned whether I could handle it again. I'll probably wonder about it this time around too. Its normal. You know better what to expect/worry over. Just keep in mind, like PP have said, every labor is different. Start with what worked for you the first time around and if that isnt doing it, then try something else. Just try different things until you figure out what helps you/makes you more comfortable.

You can do this. Good luck!

• Options
    With each pregnancy I get a little doubty of myself as I get closer and closer to my due date.  I think it has to do with knowing what to expect the following time vs the first time I was going in without a clue and a little naive.  My first was not completely natural I ended up getting IV narcotics but my second and third were both natural.  Once I was in labor I went right back in to that mind set that I could and will do it.  
    Wedding 6.18.04 Cole 11.20.06 Gavin 3.31.08 Parker 07.15.10 Logan 04.03.12
  • Options
    your feelings are normal.  my second natural birth was faster and easier.  just stay positive and remind yourself that you can do it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I was definitely more nervous the second time than the first time. I think that's natural because, hey, now you know what you're in for!  Part of me is even more nervous again this time. But both this time and last time I'm just drawing strength from the fact that I've done it before, and focusing on that! 

Don't worry, mama, you can do it!  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It is just nerves.  If you can do it once you can do it twice.  Do your best. 
  • Options

I was a little nervous before I had DS.  Part of it, I think, was because I was having a home birth for the first time so there was still an element of the unknown even though I'd been through labor before.  I worried a lot about what would happen if the birth was harder, if I wanted drugs and they weren't available because we were home, etc.  Reading positive birth stories helped me a lot, venting to the few people who knew and were supportive of my HB and NB, and doing positive affirmations everyday were all really good for my mental state. 

My second birth was harder (OP presentation, bigger baby) but I still got through it no problem and had a much easier recovery than with my first. 

imageimage 
  • Options
    I feel the exact same way! I think the reassurance from the hypno classes helped a lot, I'm nervous about not having it all fresh, like I'm going to forget some minor detail that will lead to failure. Ridiculous, I know. I do know I'm still more afraid of the epi, so I've got that going for me.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"