June 2012 Moms

Any horsey moms here? Physical Activity question

I gave up riding (no big loss, my personal horse is retired) but I do have a small trimming business (I trim feet) and have kept that up.   I intend to keep it up until I physically can't do it anymore, and my clients are all on board with that.

Physically I feel fine.  Last night I trimmed 5 horses (3 Belgians!) and that was no problem.  But I got wondering about all the bending over.  Is there any way that could be negative?

I do acknowledge the risk associated with any horse-related activity, but I have minimized that as much as possible, and don't work on any horses that are remotely dangerous. 

Re: Any horsey moms here? Physical Activity question

• I'm not around horses with this pregnancy, but was with my first.  I would be most concerned about back issues as your belly continues to grow.  If you are still comfortable doing it and take all safety precautions I don't see a reason to stop.  Have you spoken to your OB about it??
    ~DD born 3-25-10~DS born 6-5-12~
    imageimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • I'm not sure of the risks of bending over, however I would be more concerned about the possibility of being kicked. I hope you're only trimming the hooves of horses you know personally and stand well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely check with your OB about the bending over for extended periods of time. I wouldn't *think* that there'd be anything terrible associated with it, but if you're ever feeling dizzy or in pain then certainly stop the trimmings.

FWIW, I rode up until I was 8 months pregnant with my son and never suffered any ill effects. Many people I knew disagreed with the fact that I'd even go around horses in my "delicate condition", so it is your choice - depending on how well you feel :)  

claudia poirier
    Little Dude: 16 Apr. 2009 | Little Doll: 10 Jun. 2012

• I think as long as you feel ok and you take safety precautions you should be fine. just listen to your body. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"