Postpartum Depression
Options

recovery = never going off meds????

Hello,

i have been dealing with this terrible depression since 7 months ago, and I once tried to take meds but I got very scared, on friday is my appointment with my doctor to talk about this, and I am a member of a group on facebook called postpartum depression and anxiety where I have felt like others understand me, there are several moms that claim to be "recovered" but just yesterday I read a post about one mom who said that she was recovered, and she is still on meds..... 

How can you be recovered and still be taking antidepressants? do people with ppd EVER come off meds?

I hate to think that I can only live a normal life taking pills, for like, FOREVER. It is not the life I want for myself, but neither is the life I want the one I'm living right now, so I am officially feeling doomed, like, where do I go from here??? what do I do with myself? my baby deserves a normal mother goddammit!!!! And I want to feel I love him like I used to, I hate hate hate myself for being this way, I want to feel good I want to be the loving mother I used to, why isn't it enough that I desire so bad to be normal again? I mean, is this all I should expect for my life? I could never love any man, so I cant even love my own baby?????

I just feel so hopeless.... I just want to be normal...

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: recovery = never going off meds????

• Options
    Depression can be a chronic illness. If you had diabetes, you would take medication. If you had high blood pressure you would take medication. You may need to be on it forever and you may not. Do not worry about the future right now. Focus on getting well.
  • Options

I would like to think that people can recover and not have to stay medicated. Much like when someone becomes depressed for reasons in their life and are on anti-depressants for a period of time. It's not a miracle cure, so you're not going to take it for a month and then be done with it. You might have to try for a year, perhaps longer, since first it usually takes 2-8 weeks to even begin working and then weening off will take a few months as well.

However, as the PP said, it's much like a treatment with any other medical issue. Some people just have to take a pill for the rest of their life in order to stay healthy.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My doctor mentioned that since I have a history of depression that the postpartum period happened to flare it up again. So maybe I don't have PPD, just regular depression. Honestly? I don't really care what "box" I fit in in terms of diagnosis.

I am on Zoloft now and would be scared to go off of it. If I have to be on it for the rest of my life (except the third tri in any future pregnancies) then so be it. I like the person I am when I am on Zoloft better.

My advice? Stop worrying about labels such as "recovered." In my mind, "recovered" is feeling better, whether you need to be on meds forever to achieve that or not. 

imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Breastfeeding and pregnant!
  • Options
    I share your same worries.  I want to be able to have another baby one day and I am very fearful that I will never be able to experience it again b/c I don't want to take meds while pregnant.  Having this sh*t just isn't fair....
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options

I worry about the same thing.  My mother has been "weaning" off of 10-20mg Prozac SINCE I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL. 

I'm also concerned about the fact that most antidepressants haven't been around long enough for researchers to study their long-term effects -- 40 years down the road type of thing.

For a month or two I've struggled a lot with feelings of "this is what I do now..." meaning taking care of my daughter when I'm not working full time, and never catching up on housework, not to mention cultivating my OWN hobbies interests and friendships (which simply doesn't happen.) 

I really want to believe there are options out there which don't require constant medication.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage image
  • Options
    imagegy86:

I worry about the same thing.  My mother has been "weaning" off of 10-20mg Prozac SINCE I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL. 

I'm also concerned about the fact that most antidepressants haven't been around long enough for researchers to study their long-term effects -- 40 years down the road type of thing.

For a month or two I've struggled a lot with feelings of "this is what I do now..." meaning taking care of my daughter when I'm not working full time, and never catching up on housework, not to mention cultivating my OWN hobbies interests and friendships (which simply doesn't happen.) 

I really want to believe there are options out there which don't require constant medication.

sigh.... well, after a terrible break down I decided my LO needs a sane mother, needs someone to be patient and loving to him, so I started on Prozac two days ago, I don't really want to think about the long term, I just cant wait to feel better, and hopefully therapy works this time.... And hopefully I can have a healthy relationship with my son.  I don't want to miss out on his early years.. He is so small still.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imageArdmhs83:
    I share your same worries.  I want to be able to have another baby one day and I am very fearful that I will never be able to experience it again b/c I don't want to take meds while pregnant.  Having this sh*t just isn't fair....

If it make you ladies feel better, I got PG by accident this time. I was on abilify and zoloft. I discontinued Abilify immidiately and weaned off Zoloft just before the end of my first tri. The PG hormones kept me pretty normal, some anxiety and some nasty mood swings, but nothing massive major or scarey.

Just because you may be on meds the rest of your life doesnt mean you cannot have another child. I would however, strongly recomend planning the PG, not having a surprise, we may never know for sure if our daughters cleft lip and palate were caused by the meds. But I would personally not recomend being on meds when you get PG next time just to be safe.

Crossing my fingures that this time I wont need the meds or have PPD/PPA. Taking all the steps to keep me safe and sane. Big Smile

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"