Northern California Babies
Options

5 year old not staying in bed

All of a sudden in the past week or so Cam is not wanting to sleep by himself. For awhile he was sneaking into bed with us around 4 am and we let him. He kept saying he liked our bed and it was comfy etc. We replaced his small bunk type bed with a bigger bed, new sheets etc. He has a good light in his room which is pretty soft.

Last night he woke up at least 4x crying saying he wanted one of us to lay with him. 4 am him and I get into an arguing match. Full on whinine and crying saying " i want you to lay with me , you are so mean blah blah blah ".

Seriously he is almost 5 and is waking up more then his little brother. So tired and cranky and thinking of making a sleep reward chart I guess.

Any ideas ? TIA

Re: 5 year old not staying in bed

• Options
    It seems to come and go in stages. Z has been doing this on and off for the last 2-3 months. We found that sometimes we can catch her as soon as she starts stirring and get her to the bathroom, then she pees and sometimes goes back to sleep easier (and sometimes one of us has to stay with her for 5 minutes.) I honestly think that is a stage or even an emotional or mental growth spurt like any other (and some how that makes it more bearable.)  
    Mama to Z - 5.5 years, G - 3.5 years, & M - 1.5 years.
  • Options
    When we first brought Evan home from the hospital, Lucas started waking up crying 3-4 times at night.  We'd go into his room and he'd be fine.  He would want a hug and then he'd go back to sleep, only to wake up an hour or two later.  We started a sticker reward chart for him.  Every morning if he stayed in bed all night and didn't cry then he'd get a sticker.  After 5 days (which we gradually kept increasing) he got a little surprise.  It worked really well for us.  He loved getting the stickers and the prizes.  He stopped within a week or so.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're in the same boat with our 4 year old. He didn't care about the sleep reward chart. We put a mattress (small cheap mattress from IKEA) on the floor of our bedroom and he is supposed to just come in quietly and sleep on that w/o waking us. So far he's still waking us and trying to get in our bed, but will be redirected to the floor bed w/o a lot of drama (we were also having middle of the night arguing matches, no fun). He mostly tells us he just wants company at night - we're thinking of trying the boys sharing a bedroom to see if that helps - and really, nothing could be worse than the sleep hell we're in with multiple night wakings from each boy so we're going to give it a shot this weekend. Big brother is excited about sharing a room, not sure how the little one feels about it yet.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

My 8 year old does this from time to time. It started right after she started Kindergarten. I think it has something to do with being away from us during the day.

We would go in lay with her for a couple mins & then say ok good night give her a kiss & hug & leave. If she came out again then we just put her back & said good night

• Options

imagetri_bride05:
    We're in the same boat with our 4 year old. He didn't care about the sleep reward chart. We put a mattress (small cheap mattress from IKEA) on the floor of our bedroom and he is supposed to just come in quietly and sleep on that w/o waking us. So far he's still waking us and trying to get in our bed, but will be redirected to the floor bed w/o a lot of drama (we were also having middle of the night arguing matches, no fun). He mostly tells us he just wants company at night - we're thinking of trying the boys sharing a bedroom to see if that helps - and really, nothing could be worse than the sleep hell we're in with multiple night wakings from each boy so we're going to give it a shot this weekend. Big brother is excited about sharing a room, not sure how the little one feels about it yet.

seriously sounds like exactly what we are going through. Both boys are waking up 3+ times a night all of a sudden for the last week or so, and we are on our last string. No one is in their right mind at 4 am to be arguing. ugh. I hope yours improves. I am making a reward chart right now with curious george, his fav. I hope, hope it works. Let me know if something works for you.

• Options
    Our DS has been doing this but last night Dh went in but left while he was still awake letting him know we are watching him and saying good night over the intercom on his video monitor. We also put in a night light.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"