VBAC

Had my appendix removed on Friday, at 32 weeks

Hi Ladies!  I'm most active on this board and thought I'd share.  I started having a stomach ache Thursday night and it quickly got worse and worse, and I had waves of pain (that I knew were not contractions), diarrhea and throwing up.  Talked to the nurse hotline and my midwife, and both told me to go to the ER since I was having pain across my entire abdomen.  We got to the ER about 5am, and they sent us to labor and delivery since I'm past 20 weeks.  They gave me an IV for fluids, which actually helped with the pain (dehydration makes cramps worse), and eventually decided to give me a CT scan to see if it was my appendix, or kidney stones, etc.  It turned out to be my appendix, and an hour later they removed it. 

There was a slight risk the baby wouldn't tolerate the surgery well and they would have needed to do an emergency c/s, but luckily the baby handled the whole ordeal amazingly well and my appendix hadn't ruptured yet!  30 hours after surgery they let me go home.  So so glad to have an inside baby still and I'm still able to have a VBAC (barring any other emergencies)!

Recovery has been painful, especially when the baby kicks the incision/surgery area, but leaps and bounds easier than a c/s.  All the nurses and doctors seemed supportive of me planning a VBAC, even though we're planning to do it at home :-)  It's nice to know that if I end up at he hospital again, I kinda already know them.

Hope everyone else had a less eventful weekend :-) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: Had my appendix removed on Friday, at 32 weeks

• Oh wow!  Glad to hear everything went well and baby is still baking safely.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • omg, what an ordeal!  hope you have a fast and easy recovery, and tell that little one to lay off the surgery site! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh no! That sounds so stressful (and painful), yikes! Glad you and the baby are doing better now!!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Wow, I'm so glad everything is o.k. But YIKES to baby kicking that area while you heal!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I can't imagine the baby kicking while trying to heal! Glad your baby stayed put!

Where in NM are you? I'm in the SE corner.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Abigail (6.2010) and Evelyn (9.2011)
  • imagemaplehearts:

I can't imagine the baby kicking while trying to heal! Glad your baby stayed put!

Where in NM are you? I'm in the SE corner.

I'm outside of ABQ, and had my appendectomy at Lovelace. 

I'm doing lots better today, but have help with my son all week, thankfully!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I also had emergency surgery (gall bladder and lapband removed) at 28 weeks. My OB is also still supportive of a vbac too. Yippee for supportive OBs :)

Hope your healing/ recovery is speedy!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"