San Diego Babies

UCSD Birth Center

I wanted to know if anybody on here delivered at the UCSD Birth Center and what the care was like. I am looking into a natural birth with as little intervention as possible. Just hoping for some input from moms who have gone there or are planning on going there!
Pregnancy Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: UCSD Birth Center

• i'm not planning on going there, however like you, i am planning on a NB. i am at Best Start. so far, so good. my only complaint is that i've never been seen at my scheduled time :/
    BabyName Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image image imageimageimage
  • I didn't look into Best Start. I was interested in UCSD because my mom went there for cancer treatment and loved it and I was hospitalized for Steven Johnsons Syndrome there as well. I'm actually closest to Tri-City Hospital but I hate it and am willing to drive to San Diego for the best care. I've read great things about Best Start and UCSD. I'm leaning toward UCSD because of the NICU (just incase) and if I did need medical intervention or changed my mind on the epidural, it's all right there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I am a FTM but am using the UCSD birthing center if all goes well. I have been very happy with the midwives and have heard really great things about the birthing experience there. I would highly recommend it!

• Ah well now I'm hitting a road bump. My mother (who recommended UCSD) loves the La Jolla location and hates the Hillcrest (where the Birth Center is). I have already fallen in love with the birth center and feel it's the best choice because they will respect my wishes for a natural birth and as little intervention as possible. She's also concerned about me seeing a midwife instead of a obstetrican. I know it's my decision but it's just incredibly difficult when I want my mom to be supportive of my decision. 
  • I gave birth to my first son through UCSD's Midwives/Birth Center (I actually ended up giving birth in Labor & Delivery because the Birth Center was full - a rare occurrence from what I understand). I loved the care I got through the midwives during my pregnancy (I used the Hillcrest location), and loved that even though I was in L&D I still had a midwife deliver my son and all the same care and concerns as if I were in the actual birth center (except a birth tub, which I didn't want anyway - those were being used by laboring mothers in the birth center :) )

One of the things I loved about the birth center is that L&D is just a couple floors below the birth center - it comforted my mom to know I had access to a full L&D complete with obstetrician, delivery physician, etc. 

I'm expecting my 2nd son in June and am seeing the Midwives in Hillcrest again, and plan to birth at the Birth Center. If you have any specific questions I can answer please feel free to pm me. :)

T + G | 6.21.2008 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • HI,

I had a totally natural delivery and had planned to all along.  I saw a regular OB bc I have an HMO. I delivered at Sharp MAry Birch and my entire experience was fabulous. I was upfront at check in and asked for a nurse who would support us in a natural delivery and they were able to honor that request without any problems.  I labored at home for 8 hours with my husband, arrived at the hospital at noon and our daughter was born at 1:53 pm.  I am a first time mom and it was all so quick.  I have no complaints!

• I have had 2 babies at UCSD and I am getting ready to have #3. I had my first in L&D and everyone was great. Baby #2 came quickly so I didn't get to labor long at the birth center. I loved the birthing center and all of the midwives. I go to the La Jolla clinic even though the birthing center is in Hillcrest, I preferred La Jolla.  Best of luck. 

• My Mom was also really unsupportive at first. I actually took her with me to my first visit w/ a midwife at UCSD and she absolutely loved it. She's a scientist and was a little sceptical at first but realized it's just a lot more "careful care" (the midwives spend a LOT more time w/ you!) for prenatal care than an OB and a lot of the same things happen as far as the care itself, although the midwives are definitely more hands-off in a lot of ways.

Anyway to answer the original post - I absolutely LOVE UCSD and at first, the Hillcrest location was a bit annoying (parking is not the best) but I'm only 10 mins away in M.Valley so it's really convenient. I have enjoyed seeing the midwives, I've met half of them and have my favorites - but I like them all : ) You should check out the "meet the midwives" night before you make up your mind. And do the tour as well.

Also, a very close friend of mine gave birth @ UCSD. She ended up risking out (for a few reasons) of the birth center but still birthed w/ midwives and had a great experience.  

Pretty awesome that we have this available to us! I really feel lucky.

imagelizztheo:
    Ah well now I'm hitting a road bump. My mother (who recommended UCSD) loves the La Jolla location and hates the Hillcrest (where the Birth Center is). I have already fallen in love with the birth center and feel it's the best choice because they will respect my wishes for a natural birth and as little intervention as possible. She's also concerned about me seeing a midwife instead of a obstetrican. I know it's my decision but it's just incredibly difficult when I want my mom to be supportive of my decision. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you! My mom is more on board with it now. Her problem wasn't natural birth or the birth center- it was midwives. My mom is also a scientist and very concerned with degrees and what not so she didn't understand how much medical training midwives have. She is going with me on the tour this month. We're going to do the "Meet the Midwives" over summer because we are in Arizona right now and moving back in June. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"