Pre-School and Daycare
Options

suddenly having dropoff/seperation anxiety issues?!

My DS is almost 3.5. He started preschool when he turned 3, and it was a much smoother, easier transition than I had expected, as he is quite shy and slow to warm up to new people & places and he has never gone to daycare or anything. However, his preschool is very very small (only 3-5 other kids on any given day), and we prepared for it a lot. Anyway, he never cried or anything and has loved preschool... until this week! He randomly cried a ton when I dropped him off yesterday and was upset for a while apparently. He did end up being ok and having a good second half of the day. And then today I was relieved that he did not cry at dropoff (although he tried to stall me a ton) but apparently he cried off and on later in the morning, saying he wanted me. His teacher and I are baffled, as this is such a change and he was fine for almost 6 months!

Has anyone else had a preschooler who had no problem at first, but developed seperation issues much later? This too shall pass, right?

Re: suddenly having dropoff/seperation anxiety issues?!

• Options

I think you're right- it'll pass.  It'll be tough in the meantime, but don't hang around too long even if he's upset.  When I taught preschool I had a parent who would stay for 30 minutes.  She's read to him and walk him around, etc, and it was impossible for me to start the day.  

He could be having a growth spurt or coming down with something or have developed a new anxiety.  Don't stress it too much, and if he doesn't want to talk about it don't push him.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS is going through this too.  He had a rough first week, but was totally fine after that.  After winter break, he's been teary eyed when we left and several times, he tried to run out after us and the teacher had to basically drag him back in.  He seems fine for the rest of the day and is all smiles when we pick him up.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, my DD started preschool like a champ last year & then about 2mos in she would get very anxious when I would drop her off.  You have to be very matter of fact about it, and as a pp said, do not hang around- it just makes it worse.  Kiss & a hug, "I'll be back to pick you up in a little while!"  Then bolt.  He will work through it.  My DD got through it pretty quickly, but after that randomly she'd just say she didn't want to go to school, wanted to stay w/mommy, etc. so I'd just reassure her & not make a big deal about it.  This year at preschool?  Not one issue!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"