Parenting

negative descriptors/adjectives to describe your kid?

This does not pertain to saying negative things about them to their face.  More like, everyone has their faults.  This is a spin off because of the "lazy" crap.  Is it THAT bad to say your child is lazy sometimes--of course not to their face.  Or it just a negative fault brought to light, no big deal?  

I missed the discussion earlier, so I am not quite sure I am clued in. Apparently, I am banned (again) at work (their filters work sometimes and sometimes not).  

I have been known to described DD as a couch potato--there are times when she can have 3-4 friends over and ALL she wants to do is watch a show on TV.  We are very busy through the week and she needs relax time too.  But yeah, sometimes she needs more coaxing to go play outside.

DS--well you guys know my struggles with him.  Defiant can be a great adjective for him at times (as well as many 4 year olds).

Sometimes, with DS2, I just say"he's 2" implying he is acting 2.  negative yes, true very much so yes.

So do you not use negative desciptors like at all--those that semi-flamed the poster calling her DD lazy?  Do you kids not have faults? And if they do, what are you kids negative faults? 

eta:  none of this is said in a mean, hateful way...its generally joking with a friend or discussing my struggles with N 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: negative descriptors/adjectives to describe your kid?

• I wasn't in that discussion either but I do not use negative descriptors.  Or if I did/do, I'd try to correct it.  Even if they never, ever hear you say it, it does color how you treat them and how they shape up. 

I think it's in Siblings without Rivalry and the other one I can't remember by the same people.  

• I chalk most negative things up to their ages at this point, although maybe I'm overly optimistic! My four-year-old DD is super pokey about getting dressed, getting ready to go anyplace, pokey in the bathroom etc. But I assume that won't last forever. She can be whiny at times but I also assume that's a 4 yo thing. DS is two and has temper tantrums and can be really moody, but again I think it's a two year old thing. Maybe I'm blind to their faults.
    Nadia Irene 8/13/07 Reid Owen 8/18/09
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry, but of course I do. I am human. I don't live in the land of oz. Sometimes, she just plain frustrates me. And sometimes she does it on purpose, and needs to be told that she is not in charge and I am on to her. It's not like I am calling her names and swearing at her, but she can't always be coddled either.
  • I try not to use them to the kids (or around them) but I've definitely thought them and said them to H. 
  • I am well aware that my child has strengths and weaknesses. I am open with him that I see the things he does well and I call him on it when I see him make a poor choice or act in a mean way. I believe language is very powerful and make it a point to differentiate between saying someone IS mean and saying "you just excluded your brother, that was a mean thing to do". I reacted strongly to hearing someone name call their child in the OP.
  • I try very hard to be careful about how I speak of them when they can hear.  And I don't discuss one child's issues with his brothers.  But I'm imperfect, parenting is hard, and sometimes I need to discuss my kids and their issues with another adult.  Sometimes that means describing them in a negative light.  

I did not understand all of the pearl clutching over using the word lazy.  My son has recently started whining about doing his 5 minutes of homework a night because it's "boring."  So yes, he may be disinterested, but that's precisely the point of learning not to be lazy.  It's my job to teach him to work hard to do the things that need to be done, even if he finds them to be boring or frustrating.  I do want him to enjoy school, and I think we should find ways to make learning more interesting for kids, but sometimes we need to just buckle down and do something even if it's not fun.  I don't think 5 or 6 is too early to start teaching that lesson.

• DD is really stubborn but DH and I both are too so we know where she gets it from. Not really negative but we say shes hyper a lot. I usually try not to say negative comments in front of her. I know I have though. I don't really worry about it. They are never mean though. It's not like I'm calling her names or swearing like pp said. 
    Isabella Sophia 10/1/2006 Photobucket "little miss Avocado
  • I missed whatever the original discussion was about, but I also think that personalities aren't fixed and it's a lifelong process of learning and growing. I don't mean that I'll ignore areas that are weaknesses for my kids, and I hope I'll try to encourage them to develop ways to overcome their weaknesses, but people do continue to grow and change and I'd hate to label my kids a certain way based on behavior that may change over time. I'm 39 and have lived away from my parents for many years, but sometimes I'll be back home and will hear them describe me in a way that just isn't at all who I am now. I realize they have a fixed idea of me, but I've kept growing and changing and some of my challenges/weaknesses aren't the same as they were when I was a kid.
    Nadia Irene 8/13/07 Reid Owen 8/18/09
  • Call me nuts but I don't see anything wrong with calling your kid lazy if they are being lazy, as long as you are not giving them a label as in saying they are always lazy.  I would not think twice about telling my kid to stop being lazy and go do what I just asked them to do.  I think I spend way more than enough time building up their egos and they will be fine.  Does that make me a horrible Mom?  Or just honest?  There is no way I can be positive all the time.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Littlejen, it doesn't make you  bad mom. It makes you normal. I don't see how it's possible to almost be rainbows and puppies with your kids. Sometimes they ARE being lazy. Or uncooperative, or stubborn. And if you don't tell them, someone out there will.
  • imagemlm1128:
    Littlejen, it doesn't make you  bad mom. It makes you normal. I don't see how it's possible to almost be rainbows and puppies with your kids. Sometimes they ARE being lazy. Or uncooperative, or stubborn. And if you don't tell them, someone out there will.

Ding ding ding.  Our job is to teach them not to be but it doesn't make us bad people to say they are being lazy.  Sometimes the puppies and rainbows pearl clutching from the people on here drives me nuts.

• I do think kids have their own personality traits which are probably reflective or similar to how my DH or I was as a child.  I acknowledge our own strengths & weaknesses & sometimes they are reflected in my children.  However I do have a problem with certain negative traits just being thrust upon someone without looking into it further.  I am saying this as a Mom who has criticized her own children as such....& am very ashamed of it.  My DD3 I am sure I referred to her as a lazy baby...turns out she had low muscle tone that my PT sister picked up on long before the Pediatrician ever did.  She couldn't sit, crawl, etc without major help. I was WRONG to think/say that about her.  I know at times I thought DD1 was too lazy to read, concentrate, was hyper, impulsive, etc...turns out those all had underlying reasons.  Yes, they are indicators of her personality but they are not her fault.  I was WRONG to act as if she purposefully was acting that way.  She was not & it is much harder for her than many other kids.  My DD2 was unpleasant, moody, bad attitude, challenging--I could barely take it a lot of days.  Well turns out she had a medical issue that was causing her near constant pain & I had no clue.  I was WRONG to assume for so long it was *just her personality*.  I will NEVER just dismiss stuff like this again.  I learned over the past 7.5yrs that usually if my child is having a time where they are hard to deal with, struggling in school, defiant, etc there is a reason.  It is my job to question what is going on & I did not live up to my obligation too many times in the past.  None of them are perfect, just as I am not, but I really try to have more understanding, empathy when they are struggling in whatever way.  It's something only you know about your own child...I am just admitting I made mistakes & I know from experience that even a mother's (who was with their child 24/7)  **instinct**/judgement can be wrong.  I err on the side of investigating what is going on...is "laziness" lack of sleep, poor diet, not enough exercise, medical issue/sickness, etc.  I mean, really, to me laziness has an intent tied to it that I just don't see a 3, 4, 5 yr old having.  What little kid **wants** to be lazy?  They want to run around, have fun, please their parents usually, right?  At least mine do--if they are acting like couch potatoes I'd say they are tired, sick & not think they are just lazy.  GWIM.  Older kids, sure, but we are talking about 2-6yr olds for the most part.  I just don't think they have the same "faults" that we do.
    AKA Carol*Brady! IHO my upcoming 10yr Nestiversary--Back to old screenname. My own Marsha, Jan & Cindy... imageDesigning a Life Blog
  • I tell lucas he is driving me freaking crazy.    
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Thank god. I was starting think I was an evil *** because I don't constantly treat my child like ever thing she does is special.
  • imagejennieliz:

imagemlm1128:
    Littlejen, it doesn't make you  bad mom. It makes you normal. I don't see how it's possible to almost be rainbows and puppies with your kids. Sometimes they ARE being lazy. Or uncooperative, or stubborn. And if you don't tell them, someone out there will.

Ding ding ding.  Our job is to teach them not to be but it doesn't make us bad people to say they are being lazy.  Sometimes the puppies and rainbows pearl clutching from the people on here drives me nuts.

there is a huge between being lazy and saying someone is lazy. It's not just semantics. In the OP you said "my daughter is lazy." I take issue with that because it describes a general and fixed trait. Here you say "being lazy". It totally changes the meaning to be a choice, a temporary state, rather than a fixed trait.
  • Usually I lurk, but can't zip it on this one...

I have this idea that I never label the child - just the actions which in my vocab is a CHOICE.  I am a very black/white type person.  My daughter is only 5 but she is already learning about her choices in her behaviors thus the consequences that result in the behaviors.  Sure she will try the whole "you don't love me as much anymore" or "you don't care about me anymore" if there is discipline needed and she always recieves the same answer: that it "is just not possible" for me to not love her or care about her - that isn't even up for discussion.

So no, I never talk badly about her or label, but I will say something like "you are acting naughty" or "you are choosing not to listen".  We always make a point for her to understand it is not HER we are upset with, but more her behavior.

I learned a lot of how to do this by working with children when I taught head start, some of whom had very crappy family environments and heard nothing but horrible things said to them about who they are.  So we had to find ways to talk to them about their behavior without labeling them and helping them see most times it is a choice...

So thankful I learned that before I had kids.  I can remember my older siblings label me.... I never want my child to feel labeled - negative or postively.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Here's flameful...my husband and I will refer to Gabi as "B," as in you know what. She is horrible some days...screaming, pulling hair, pushing, biting, stealing, etc. Typical twos, I'm sure, but times ten....and far wore than the other three were/are.  We never say it to her, of course. 

I have no problem telling my kids they are being lazy, mean, are frustrating me, etc.  It's a learning process for all of us.

• Most definitely when venting to DH or my family/friends. Of course I would never say it to them though.
    Child #1: 6 yo DD Child #2: 2yo DD
  • imagejennieliz:

imagemlm1128:

I'm so glad someone else lives in the real world. Life is always blissful in nestland. Too bad no one really lives there ;) 

• I feel compelled to chime in and confess that I have called my kid a turd. Not my finest moment..but things come out every so often. I try to be a little more mature when addressing some of their actions over the past (almost) 7 and 8 years but seriously...there have been times when they just aren't acting right. Devil
  • I  don't think all behaviors are equal. I like the positive to to behaviors but for those as bad as N's that are completely unacceptable.  Nope.  Never.   I never want to make light of or even encourage his defiant behavior.   The behavior (not my child) is unacceptable.  (I understand the language also).  End of story. Now, yes, the idea of a Dx for him has come up and its not being ignored but even if he has ODD, IED or any other mental health condition.  It still doesn't make his particular behavior ok.  We will still be working to get rid of it.   I do believe its not always a dx, but could be a personality trait or a developmentally appropriate yet negative behavior.  And if we didn't tell internet strangers, what would be the point of a message board?  I use this sight to gain insight on children the same developmental age as mine and its available 24-7 and has a TEAM feel to it.  You get lots of ideas and suggestions.  I am very thankful that no one made me feel worse in my struggles with N when I put them out there but gave me some other ideas.  N has totally heard how unacceptable his behavior is when he tells a teacher, "No."

I have never mentioned "couch potato" in front of H but if I did, I think she'd laugh and if I were to say she was acting lazy:  it would go something like this "Girl, you are being laaaaaaaaaaaaaa-ze."   And she'd laugh while getting up to do whatever I needed/wanted her to do.  With friends (mine), it might come out, so she can be soo lazy.  My friends do the same thing with their kids also.  

I can't help but wonder if kids are so sensitive because they are protected from any potentially bad connotation at home.   

R9, I have told my kids you are driving me crazy too : )

Some of this stuff, like "bad grades" which I was flamed for in the past, they pickup from their peers quickly.  And I still believe its a adequate description for a 67= bad grade.  (And BTW that 67 turned out to be nothing, H has gotten nothing but A's- one B on her report cards!)  I have learned no to freak on single grades esp unfair worksheet ones : ) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Fredalina, my second post was not a direct attack on you or anyone but a response to the thread in general; I think there were others using positive spins (but on behavior) but your examples stubborn and defiant are behaviors.  I admit I overlooked the terminology (read your post last night, posted this AM). 609-

• DS was lazy even in the womb!  he sent me to L&D a couple times b/c he didn't move enough.  While he has ADHD and has turned hyperactive as of late, he is still a couch potato who needs downtime and loves to watch TV.  He will also chose 99% of the time to have someone else do something for him vs. do something for himself.  He is sooooo much like MH that way. 

Both of my kids are stubborn mules, but they come by that honestly. 

DD is a drama llama to the core.  I love them, but you can't escape the facts.  They are who they are.  I'm sure there are some adjectives that could be used to describe me too.  ;-)  I certainly don't talk to my kids about these adjectives, but I do try to work on them about these things.  I won't be there to do things for DS forever and DD is going to learn the lesson the hard way someday that her dramaliciousness won't get her too far.  I'd rather she learn from me than her peers. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • imagefredalina:
    I really believe that all negative temperament traits are also positive ones. Stubborn = tenacious, hyperactive = energetic and enthusiastic (outside the bounds of a diagnosis, obviously), defiant = leader and free thinker, etc. I try to think of them in the more positive vversion of the same thing, but don't always succeed. I think it's helpful to understand your child's temperament as long as you don't sort of lock them into it. I also think saying "She's stubborn" or "He's strong-willed" is different from "He's mean/a bully" or "She's stupid." Not sure I can define it better though.

Although ds is absolutely the sweetest and most loving 7 y/o boy I've ever known, he's still a maddeningly whiny kid at times and I've told him so to his face. I challenge anyone to put a positive spin on being a whiny a$$. ;-)

FWIW, yes, I use negative descriptors of my kids sometimes. They're human. We're all human. We all have positive personality characteristics and annoying ones.  I don't see the point in glossing over that and I don't want to raise kids who are so sensitive that their fragile ego is destroyed by being told that they need to cut out the whiny crap.

And FTR? Let it be noted that I have a particular dislike for parenting books in general. All that psychobabble makes me nauseous. In general, I just think that as a society we tend to overanalyze and overthink everything, and we're just too freaking sensitive.

• So none of you have ever been chatting with your H or a friend and had the occasion to say gosh, the kid was a super whine bag today? Or something of the sort? You would never once say something negative about your child when they aren't around? I think this is nuts.

I'm not talking about calling them little azzholes to their face. My kid is almost 20 and I can assure you, while I love him very, very much, he's certainly tested my patience now again and I've, gasp, vented about it using "negative descriptors". There's a big difference between calling a spade a spade and verbal abuse. 

• imageshopgirl_07:

So none of you have ever been chatting with your H or a friend and had the occasion to say gosh, the kid was a super whine bag today? Or something of the sort? You would never once say something negative about your child when they aren't around? I think this is nuts.

I totally have.  I can see positives in my kids' attributes, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to talk to a friend or DH about a certain unappealing phase they may be going through at the moment and use descriptive words.  then again, this is the Nest, so probably only a few of us will admit to being normal. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • We are having two different conversations here. I don't see many posters saying they never say anything negative, I see people writing that they don't describe the child as a whole that way. Of course my kid has bad days and I'll say to DH "the little one was a brat today" but I don't say DS2 IS a brat. See the difference. And Cleo - I have a PH.d in psychology. I'm not that sensitive but calling someone's life's work psychobabble is a tad degrading, no?
  • imagecbidt*sgirl:
    We are having two different conversations here. I don't see many posters saying they never say anything negative, I see people writing that they don't describe the child as a whole that way. Of course my kid has bad days and I'll say to DH "the little one was a brat today" but I don't say DS2 IS a brat. See the difference. And Cleo - I have a PH.d in psychology. I'm not that sensitive but calling someone's life's work psychobabble is a tad degrading, no?

The didn't say that the field of psychology is bogus. I work in mental health, FTR. I've allowed my children to participate in research studies through the psych dept at the local university that are studying how children learn, how they acquire language, etc. 

There's a difference, IMO, between the academic study of the brain and what I'm calling psychobabble.

• I think it's good to recognize that your child is human, and has faults, but I really try to frame it in terms of the action is "lazy" or "mean," not the child.  I do think when you start labeling your children, or anyone else for that matter (including yourself!), it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
  • imageshopgirl_07:

So none of you have ever been chatting with your H or a friend and had the occasion to say gosh, the kid was a super whine bag today? Or something of the sort? You would never once say something negative about your child when they aren't around? I think this is nuts.

I'm not talking about calling them little azzholes to their face. My kid is almost 20 and I can assure you, while I love him very, very much, he's certainly tested my patience now again and I've, gasp, vented about it using "negative descriptors". There's a big difference between calling a spade a spade and verbal abuse. 

I grew up in a family where there was the "pretty sister," the "smart sister", the "dumb sister" and the "youngest" (me).   Everyone was labeled, and it was embraced by extended family.  If you were labeled negatively, even when you did something right, they explained it in a negative light, or as a fluke.  Assumptions were made about every action.  My aunt died thinking I was the worse creature in the world, and to this day, I still have not forgiven her for making really terribly assumptions about me for hugging her son (my cousin) when we were teenagers (yes, that sort of assumption).  

H grew up in a similar household, although not as dramatic.  There was definitely the "dumb" sister, and although she graduated salutatorian and earned a masters in 5 years, that label still makes her believe she is not as smart as her sibs to this day.  It makes me sad.  She is most definitely sharp, but she will never believe it.

I will tell stories about my kids, funny, sometimes negative stories, but I always always make sure to frame it in terms of an instance or habits, but never as an absolute trait of my kids.  That's just judgmental and although I know we can all be judgey, I try to at least hold back when it comes to my own, very young, and still evolving, kids.

• image-auntie-:

Maybe it's different because my kid is older and has an alphabet soup of dxs after his name. but I have been urged by his team to give him ownership of how he behaves- the good, the bad, the extraordinary- from the time he was in first grade.

If my son were lazy, he'd hear about it, not some random internet moms.

Nope, if you are not supposed to coddle him because he has a ton of DX then why should anyone else whose kids do not have "issues"?  I definitely think this is part of the reason we as a generation are raising a bunch of self-centered self-involved kids, no one told them to cut the crap and point out when their kids are wrong.  And I just don't believe you can do that only using positive comments.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"