Military Families

5 weeks Pregnant, husband deploying in 2 weeks

My husband and I were married on September 17, 2011.  My husband is set to start his deployment at the end of January. It's been a wild few months.  He had to leave for a months worth of AT in October and was supposed to deploy in December but it was pushed back.  We found out yesterday that we are pregnant, about 5 weeks along! 

I've never had such a rush and mix of emotions before.  From extreme happiness, to sadness that he will miss it all, to fear of going through these next 9 months and more alone. 

Because of our ages (I am 36) waiting to try to conceive until after his deployment is over wasn't a great option.  I've actually been off birth control since last March and after some intensive research and lots of practice over the past few months we've finally been successful! 

My head just aches with all the thoughts running through it, will I be able to do this alone, how will he feel being away and missing everything.  What can I do to make him a part of every step... 

Worried worried worried

Pregnancy Ticker

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 5 weeks Pregnant, husband deploying in 2 weeks

• I video taped the heartbeat of every appt. then he could listen to it. When I went to find out gender, I had the dr check boy or girl. Then when we got to Skype I pulled out the card and let him read it to me. That helped with some of the milestones. It is hard but with Skype and video it helped him feel somewhat still apart of everything. I also started the registry but on his day off he went and added what he thought we needed. Good luck to you and congrats!  This board was very helpful while hubby was gone last time. 
  • Skype will be the best thing in your life! And if at all possible moving closer to family (don't forget to include your in-laws but don't let them push you around because your hubby isn't there) one of my best friends went through her entire pregnancy without her husband while he was in Kuwait. They talked all the time through Skype and she sent him video tapes all the time (flip video cameras are cheap and take pretty good picture) so he didn't feel left out. She moved back home with her parents and they helped a lot and helped her through the birth.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We actually live relatively close to both parents. My mom is 1/2 hr away and his mom is 1 hr.  His dad is actually deploying at the same time (same unit).  I get along well with my mother in law so that shouldn't be a problem. 

I'm only 5 weeks now and haven't been to first dr's appt but we feel like we should maybe tell just our parents before they deploy even though it's early.  That way we can do it together...

We are already looking into webcams so that we can make sure we can communicate as much as possible.

• NSLNSL member

Living close to your parents and IL's is good.  Accept their help!  

I had our second while H was deployed, and while it wasn't ideal, it wasn't horrible either.  We thankfully had good Skype access on a daily basis, and if you are able to talk regularly via webcam it'll make both of you feel as if he's more involved with the pregnancy.   I'd also recommend focusing on some of the positives of this timing.  Missing your pregnancy means he won't miss much of your child's first year, which is far more important in the grand scheme of things.

• That is an excellent point NSL, Thank You!  I am always trying to see  the positive and that is definately one of them!

• I feel ya... I'm 10 weeks and my husband is deploying in February. I'll be home with my parents and ILs once he leaves, and I'm know I can handle everything, but I don't want him to feel like he's missing out on everything. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My husband's been gone since I was 6w.  It's been tough, a few emergency room visits for an SCH, but we do what we have to do.  You'll get through it.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"