Minnesota Babies
Options

You are probably sick of hearing from me. Another question this time about Rockford.

We found another huge townhome we like, but it is in Rockford.  Furthur away than we were thinking, but we would love the extra sq. ft. My husband thinks it will be a 40 minute commute to the airport.  Has anyone ever been there?  Is it a nice area?

Re: You are probably sick of hearing from me. Another question this time about Rockford.

• Options
    first I want to make sure I have the right location but talking about Rockford West of Maple Grove? if so it will take your DH A LOT longer then 40 mins to get to the air port. I would say 1 - 2 hours to get from there to MSP. 
  • Options

I've never even HEARD of Rockford--it's not really a suburb, more of an exurb I've guess based on the location I mapquested.  

It would be longer than 40 minutes to the airport most of the time, because of traffic/weather. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

From what I'm gathering, it's 15 miles west of Plymouth. A beautiful 2100+ sq.ft. 3 bed plus office plus a finished basement and 4 bathrooms. All for $1450. I cant find anything for that price in the suburbs close to Minneapolis. Now I'm just trying to weigh pros and cons. We did find one we liked in lakeville. We are just waiting on the landlord to get back with us. I think my husbandis leaning towards the one in Rockford, but I think I'd rather have him home sooner with a shorter commute.

Thanks for listening to my rambling.

• Options

Rockford is not in the cities - that is why it is cheap. The winters and traffic can be really bad here - I don't think I would suggest living that far out.

Lakeville is also pretty far.

There have got to be decent prices within the cities, have you looked at renting a home?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Not looking at homes, just newer town homes. I can't bring myself to live In anything older than 10 years. I am at home a lot by myself with my husband flying all the time. Since I'm alone with the two kids I can't have things breaking down on me, and I don't want to shovel snow out of the driveway and walkways.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies you have made that decision easier, no Rockford. That commute sounds terrible with traffic and snow. 1-2 hours is too long. Thanks again.
  • Options
  • Options

That's a good decision.  The commute would mostly be on 494 and the thought of having to drive that in rush hour every day would make me go crazy. 

You might want to take into consideration the gas money that you will be saving by living closer.  With the kids, it will be nicer living in the suburbs because there will be activities that will be closer to where you are.   Yes, the rent might be higher, but for your requirements, that's just the trade-off you might have to make.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

If you'd really like to live further out to get more house for the money, I would recommend somewhere on the east side (maybe even in to Wisconsin?) over the west side. Traffic is terrible in the west metro, and it's much better (though not nonexistent) on the east side. But you will still have the problem of a longer commute on snow days if you live further out, no matter where it is.

Also, if your only concern about older houses is breaking appliances, I would encourage you to not necessarily rule them out. My husband and I have lived in a house, built in 1981, for 7 years, and haven't had any appliances go out on us. The structure is solid, and it has good insulation. Of course, it helped that the previous owner had recently replaced the furnace and A/C and they were only 2 years old when we moved in. You could also get a home appliance protection plan, I think Xcel Energy offers them. For what it's worth, some friends of ours built a house in the north metro in 2006 and have had a lot of problems with it - have had to replace the roof, siding, etc multiple times. When we had our house inspected when we moved in, the inspector says he usually sees the most problems with new construction - a lot of builders are cutting corners and doing things cheaply. Just my two cents, and of course you make the decision that is right for your family.

• Options
    I would check out Blaine or Woodbury. There are lots of newer townhome developments in those areas and probably a 45 min drive to the airport.

Photo taken at 16 months old
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would look into New Brighton, Shoreview, Anoka, and Fridley as well. Friends of mine rent a 3 bd townhouse, with basement in New Brighton for around $1500.

BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    imageauroraloo:
    imagecorri930:

I would look into New Brighton, Shoreview, Anoka, and Fridley as well. Friends of mine rent a 3 bd townhouse, with basement in New Brighton for around $1500.

I would not live in any of these areas and work at the airport. The commute through either downtown on either 35 (east or west) would be horrendous.

Also, Lakeville is not far from the airport. People keep saying that, but it's just not. I would live east of 35 in Lakeville, for ease of access to 77, but it's NOT FAR FROM THE AIRPORT. I used to teach in Lakeville and I would say 20-25% of my students were from airport families. 

Thanks,

we turned in an application for a townhome in Lakeville.  My husband made the drive to go and check it out and he said it was about 25 minutes.  His commute here in Salt Lake City was 20 min, so he thought that was pretty good. Thanks for all your input girls!  I TRULY appreciate it.  It's very stressful doing all of this so far away.  You have made it a little easier!

• Options
    imageauroraloo:
    imagecorri930:

I would not live in any of these areas and work at the airport. The commute through either downtown on either 35 (east or west) would be horrendous.

Also, Lakeville is not far from the airport. People keep saying that, but it's just not. I would live east of 35 in Lakeville, for ease of access to 77, but it's NOT FAR FROM THE AIRPORT. I used to teach in Lakeville and I would say 20-25% of my students were from airport families. 

Thanks,

we turned in an application for a townhome in Lakeville.  My husband made the drive to go and check it out and he said it was about 25 minutes.  His commute here in Salt Lake City was 20 min, so he thought that was pretty good. Thanks for all your input girls!  I TRULY appreciate it.  It's very stressful doing all of this so far away.  You have made it a little easier!

• Options
    I don't know what your initial criteria are in terms of location, but there are loads of townhouses in Eagan and Mendota Heights. And TONS in Woodbury. I would definitely check those out as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"