Georgia Babies
Options

cant' break the bottle :(

I'm not sure what to do... 

Cooper is 17 months and for about 2 months I've been trying to wean him off the bottle.  He's almost completely off it during the day.  I had actually gotten to where he was only taking one, right at bed time.  He drinks fine from a sippy cup all day.

But, we have a few issues...

1 - he will drink cold milk, but hates it

2 - as soon as he was doing good with just that one bottle, he hit a growth spurt or something and was getting up like 2 times a night (still doing this)

3 - Only eats about 1-1.5 good meals a day so I'm assuming he's still hungry at night

I know I need to break him of this, but sometimes it's the only way to get him to sleep - and then he'll sleep till like 8:30 or 9.  

Any thoughts/advice are appreciated :) 

Re: cant' break the bottle :(

• Options
    Harlie's about the same age--what we did was we started giving her a sippy instead of milk at night and she progressively became less and less interested in drinking it even though she'd suck down a bottle no problem.  It sort of just evolved into her now drinking milk with dinner and not even drinking that much milk-maybe half of a sippy and being more interested in eating food instead.  Now at night we put her in her pjs and she points to her sleep sack and says night night. She cries for a minute or so after we put her in it and then goes down. 
  • Options
    Adam had the exact same issue when I started weaning off the bottle.  He was sleeping fine at night then around 16 months started waking up again wanting a bottle of milk.  Finally, I was tired of getting up all night and I just said we were done.  Cold Turkey, no more bottles.  I had to completely remove them from his sight.  It was a tough 2 nights, but after that he really had no problem.  Once I took the bottle away he started drinking milk out of his sippy cup every morning.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We went cold turkey over Christmas (17 months) but (hangs head in shame) Isaac was basically on the bottle all day long.  A bottle junkie I tell you - and P gave up the bottle at 10 months so I was astounded.  I had tried and quit many times to get him to use a sippy with no luck.  And there were always excuses: "He's sick", "I need to let him drink a bottle so he will sit still for a breathing treatment", "I want him to be quiet in the car", "he's teething"......We were at a friend's house with no bottle and he took a sippy just fine, thank you very much, so I figured out he was just playing me.  So I found a sippy he liked and tossed the bottles and never looked back.  He acted whiny and confused a couple days but I stuck to my guns and he got over it.  He drinks less milk now but he was putting back about a gallon every other day anyway so he needed to cut back.  He likes the nuby sport sippers and the first years sippies that do not have a valve if you need ideas on sippies a former bottle junkie likes.  They are insulated and "Cars" themed.  Good luck.  He is my amazing sleeper so getting up at night was never an issue after he got over the worst of the RSV last year.  Knock on wood.  The sleep issue may be separate from the bottle issue.  You may have to go all hard-core Weissbluth on him a few nights.

I thank the Lord in heaven Isaac firmly rejected the paci as a newborn.  I still find those stupid things in random places after P's 2.75 year ADDICTION.  When we took the paci away it was the death knell for daytime naps, unfortunately, but the kid can barely hold her head up come 7PM and sleeps until at least 7AM most days so its a trade-off.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"