May 2011 Moms

Storing Clothes

I know this was asked before but i can't remember, DS has lots of clothes he already outgrew right now they are just in one of the drawers but I'm running out of space. I'm selecting some to keep the rest will be sold/donated. I remember when I was looking into storing my wedding dress something about air flow, something about if air doesn't get to the clothes they get moldy, so a plastic container would not be a good idea. I may be holding on to this clothes for a while (along with my maternity clothes) since we might wait about 4 years until the next one so I don't want this clothes to get ruined. Any ideas?

Re: Storing Clothes

• I'm doing plastic rubbermaid containers with a few silica packets tossed in (recovered from various other things that arrive with them, DH gets stuff at work and brought them home).

We live in a really dry climate, so mold seems pretty unlikely as long as I put them in well dried.

• I rec'd a ton of clothes from a friend. They were about 2-3 years old. She gave them to me in Pampers boxes. Everything was perfect!  That's how I have been storing the stuff LO outgrows now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageNeverEnoughTime:
    I rec'd a ton of clothes from a friend. They were about 2-3 years old. She gave them to me in Pampers boxes. Everything was perfect!  That's how I have been storing the stuff LO outgrows now.

I got mine from my sister and they were stored the same way. No issues with it.  I am repacking all the stuff I want to keep in a Rubbermaid container just because it's easier to move since we are moving this summer. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby #2 on the way! BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've never heard of storing clothes in plastic possiby causing mold.  I know growing up my mom would put stuff in plastic garbage bags to store in the attic seasonally and we never had a problem.  But then again that was only for a few months.  My plan was to use space bags.  I figured the zipper would keep stuff out and taking the air out saves on space, which is a big thing for me.
  • I've been putting all of DS's outgrown clothes in under-bed containers (big plastic bins). I never thought about the mold thing, but I've been storing clothes in containers like that for a while now (a few years) and I've had no issue so far.
  • I consign the brand name stuff and donate the Carter's and other brands. 

I have a Spring/Summer tote and a Fall/Winter tote. Right now, my Spring/Summer is about to head to the consignment store and my Fall/Winter is slowly filling up with the stuff my DS and DD are growing out of.  I also have one more tote full of the keepsake items for both kids. 

• space saver bags!! they really do work! 

we bought a bunch of the L/XL bags & went through his old clothes and put them into the age groups...then stored, vacuumed & now they fit inside our storage unit perfect. 

Hopefully our next will be a boy so we can just reuse the clothes..:P otherwise, we will have a lot to donate/sell!  

• Our storage unit is climate controlled.  We are using rubermaid.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"