May 2011 Moms

Ok let's talk shoes

From what I've read and researched and stuff shoes will inhibit foot development and growth at this point. However, I've also read that once they start walking you need to put them in hard soled shoes so they don't injure themselves. Well E is standing unassisted now and so I'm conflicted. Once she starts walking even though she won't be one yet do I put her in the shoes or keep doing what I'm doing which is only have shoes on her when we go outside and I take them off when she's going to be playing and pulling up and stuff.

Thoughts? BTDT moms what did you do previously? 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more

Re: Ok let's talk shoes

• I always put soft soled shoes on DS until he was very stable walking.  I don't see the point of hard soled shoes at first when they are learning.  We used Robeez with DS.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagepam1005:
    I always put soft soled shoes on DS until he was very stable walking.  I don't see the point of hard soled shoes at first when they are learning.  We used Robeez with DS.

You and I are in the same area. Where did you get them and were they decently priced?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Meimsx no more
  • Loading the player...
  • The Robeez website has the best selection of them, but I would also look into PediPed's and See Kai Run shoes.  They all have shoe for pre-walkers and early walkers that have thin soles on them so that LO can still grip the ground with their toes.  PediPed's is having a decent sale right now on their website on a number of their shoes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At home, Owen is just in socks (like the rest of us... Canadians don't really do shoes in the house).

I have a pair of Robeez that were a gift he wears sometimes. His main outside clothes have attached feet, though, so usually I just put him in his all-in-one snowsuit and he's shoeless out of the house, too.

In the spring / when he's walking, I'll get some "proper" hard soled shoes for outdoors. He'll remain mostly in socks/bare feet in our house.

• imagetokenhoser:

At home, Owen is just in socks (like the rest of us... Canadians don't really do shoes in the house).

I have a pair of Robeez that were a gift he wears sometimes. His main outside clothes have attached feet, though, so usually I just put him in his all-in-one snowsuit and he's shoeless out of the house, too.

In the spring / when he's walking, I'll get some "proper" hard soled shoes for outdoors. He'll remain mostly in socks/bare feet in our house.

That's what I'm concerned about. Spring comes early here. Like days in the 60's and 70's in Feb. sometimes. If she's walking in Feb or Mar then I want her to wear hard soled shoes outside at the park or whatever. But she won't be 12 months yet. Would it be awful to let her wear those during those times even if it's a few hours?

Robeez would be great just going place to place but I don't want her to step on a stick or rock and get hurt if we are at the park.

Meimsx no more
  • I don't really think you'll do any harm if she's only wearing them outdoors.

It's when parents strap them on at 7 am and take them off at bedtime you're going to mess up feet.

• imagetokenhoser:

I don't really think you'll do any harm if she's only wearing them outdoors.

It's when parents strap them on at 7 am and take them off at bedtime you're going to mess up feet.

That sounds awful to me. I hate wearing shoes. I regularly take my shoes off at work. People look at me funny but oh well.

Meimsx no more
  • imagetokenhoser:

I don't really think you'll do any harm if she's only wearing them outdoors.

eeek, I did not know this!!  Abby walks holding onto things and since she is in daycare and we have cold hardwood floors, we started putting her in hard soled shoes all day long.  She slips in socks and I worry that she will slide on the hard floors at school. Sad

I guess we will have to think of an alternative. 

~~~I am MrsPLW71~~~ Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

My Birth Story
  • Someone needs to explain to my Grnadma that shoes are not needed at this age, except for protecting their feet when walking outside.  She constantly tells me that since DD is starting to stand, I need to start getting shoes on her.  Something about if I don't I'll have a hard time later getting them to fit or the arch in her foot or something silly like that.  I guess it's maybe an old school thing? 

Right now DD is in socks or bare feet.  I read they do better when they can use the grip of their toes for balance.  Even if she starts walking soon, we won't be outside for quite a while but I'll still get her fitted with a pair probably at that point.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We usually have her in socks--definitely in the house and out of the house. However, when it IS cold out we do have Ugg boots for her--that we slip on her if she will be outside to keep her feet warmer. (She is master at kicking off her socks).

Maybe she wears them about 20 minutes a few times a week.

She got them as a gift, so I want her to get some use out of them--but my husband and I are not shoe people either.  

My daughter is my hero.
  • DD hates things on her feet. I have a couple of pairs of robeez, and she actually sucessfully kept them on all day yesterday at daycare! She's usually barefoot though. She's not close to pulling up yet, so we'll cross the hard soled bridge when we get to it.
    BFP #2 5/31/12 CP 5w2d 6/4/12 BFP #3 7/9/12 EDD 3/8/13 Another Girl!! Lilypie Pregnancy tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So then if DD is just starting to stand & maybe take some steps soon, she is fine to just be barefoot or in socks right?  I just want to be sure I understand that the shoes come in when they are walking but just to protect their feet like outside.

• i'm late to this post but Iris started walking at 9 months.  I knew it was time for shoes when I took her to the zoo and all she wanted to do was practice walking and refused to stay in the stroller.  We started her with soft soled shoes.  Her second pair were real shoes.  I would pay attention to what your child is doing, not some arbitrary age like one year.  Once your kid really wants to walk in public, they need shoes.  

Gus is standing assisted and cruising a lot but I don't plan to get him shoes until he is actually walking. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • If you can find a store that carries Stride-Rite - they carry Robeez (Stride-Rite now owns Robeez). I don't keep shoes on him when he's home, I bought a pair of Robeez soft-sole boots for when he's in the car or outside and a pair of Stride-Rite for "walking/cruising" - soft rubber soles that are a little firmer than soft-soles- for daycare since they require them in case they go outside. I had him measured to avoid mailing returns - turned-out he was a wide which Robeez does't make but Stride-Rite does.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"