Military Families

Maternity Formal Dresses........blah!

I am 6 weeks pregnant and just found out my husband has to go to a brigade formal in May,,,,,,,,I will be huge by then! I know that I don't necessarily have to go with him but I enjoy getting dressed up......just never thought about buying a maternity formal.  How would you get a dress a month or so in advace when you don't know how big you're going to be?  Anyone else have this experience or have this in your future?:)

Re: Maternity Formal Dresses........blah!

• Any dress with an empire waist and a loose/flowing bottom would work!   It doesn't have to be a maternity dress.  Just make sure it's not tight fitting in the top either so your boobies have some room to grow. 

I had to go to a formal at 30 weeks pregnant and I wore a pre-maternity dress that had an empire waist and nice flowy bottom--- looked fine :) Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • There are also websites where you can rent maternity formals. Since you'll probably only wear it once why spend all that money? You should look into it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been to formal events for three of my four pregnancies.  Each time, I wore a different regular dress that had an empire waist and a flowy skirt. I was 36 weeks at one of those events.  I always bought my dress about 3-4 weeks out.  There are plenty of options out there. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I went to the Marine Corps Ball when I was 29 weeks. I wore this dress:

https://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_One-Shoulder-Long-Jersey-Dress-with-Cascade-Back-F13185_Bridal-Party-Features-Maternity-Appropriate

It was really comfy because it was jersey! I got a ton of compliments :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with the suggestions to get a regular dress in an empire style. That's what I did when I went to the Marine Corps Ball at 26 weeks. I did have to get a size or two bigger than my regular size because my breasts were bigger by then and my ribcage had expanded a bit. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagesmdetrick:

I went to the Marine Corps Ball when I was 29 weeks. I wore this dress:

https://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_One-Shoulder-Long-Jersey-Dress-with-Cascade-Back-F13185_Bridal-Party-Features-Maternity-Appropriate

It was really comfy because it was jersey! I got a ton of compliments :) 

I wore the same for the Marine Corps Ball last year at 34 weeks... I looked and felt great in it! 

Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • OMG I love that dress.....I will definitely be going to David's Bridal! Thanks so much ladies :)
  • I had a formal I went to at 6 months. I found a really cute dress on sale at a pea in the pod. They have really cute dressy things, you just have to look at clearance because they are pricy.

https://www.apeainthepod.com/maternity/dresses-evening-dresses.asp

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I got a dress at JCPenney on the clearance rack for $60. It was an empire waist with the pleated skirt so it flowed really nice and stretched large enough even though I was measuring 41 weeks. David's Bridal doesn't have maternity in their stores anymore (or at least on the west coast they didn't) and so they offer you regular dresses that can be altered for large fees.
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageadreajoy:

Any dress with an empire waist and a loose/flowing bottom would work!   It doesn't have to be a maternity dress.  Just make sure it's not tight fitting in the top either so your boobies have some room to grow. 

I had to go to a formal at 30 weeks pregnant and I wore a pre-maternity dress that had an empire waist and nice flowy bottom--- looked fine :) Good luck!

This is what I did.  I just went to David's Bridal (because I wanted cheap since I might not wear it again) and found one that had nice stretchy material for the lower portion.  It worked out fabulously and was very comfortable.  Of course, I had to get like 4 sizes bigger than I normally wear and have it altered but it was worth it. 
  • I just bought a dress with a lot of give in the stomach.  Fortunately, my boobs didnt grow too much in the timeframe between the ordering and the ball.

I'm sorry you have to deal with the whole thing.  It can be a PITA to find a dress!

Married August 23, 2008!

My little angel RIP August 12, 2010 - September 5, 2010

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Im in the same boat, Im a few weeks ahead of you, but I have a military formal in may also and will be far after twenty weeks.  I found several dresses I like on davids bridal, they have lots of maternity friendly beautiful formal dresses.  And I plan to get it altered about a week before the formal so I will fit in it right! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"