Military Families

Cloth diapering military mamas?

I'm curious and wanted to know if any of you all cloth diapers your children? If so, what kind of cloth diapers do you use and does it really help your family financially? 

My husband and I are in our mid 20s and are having our first baby. I have always felt strongly about trying to be environmentally friendly and so we have decided to do the hybrid cloth diaper system. I will be a stay at home mommy so I will have the time to do the extra laundry. 

Re: Cloth diapering military mamas?

• I am also a FTM who is going to cloth diaper. There is a board on here with tons of info. that will help you choose which kind of cloth diaper is right for you. There are also tips on what to use to clean them, how many to get for each stage, etc...
  • Lots of military moms use cloth diapers. I love ours and they have already saved us a ton of money. 

I assume by "hybrid system" you mean G Diapers. Don't waste your money. They are terrible. They leak all over and honestly, a hybrid system is more trouble than its worth for most people. 

The cloth diapering board is a great resource. They have an FAQ page linked at the top of the board that has reviews of a ton of different systems.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We use cloth and love it. I will never voluntarily go back to disposables, for so many reasons. Never. We use one size pockets during the day and fitted diapers with a wool cover for nighttime. We have 2 hanging wetbags for home and 2 that go in the diaper bag. Easy! We spent about $250 for our initial stash and I still splurge from time to time on really cute ones.

It does help financially. For the cost of one pack of disposables that will last a week on your newborn, you can buy a OS pocket or all-in-one that you'll still be using while they're potty training. Add that to the fact that with every cloth diaper change you are avoiding a disposable diaper filled with caustic chemicals that will still be in a landfill 500 years from now, it's a pretty sweet deal. Your initial outlay will be larger that if you buy disposables, but you can easily get used diapers in excellent condition that will help cut the cost. Plus, you'll be able to resell them yourself once you're done with them and recoup some of your costs.

Plus, they're ridiculously adorable. FWIW, my DH and I both work full time and have no problem keeping up on the laundry. It's really no big deal once you develop a good washing routine. Ditto PP - skip the hybrid systems. They're just not worth the time or money.

• Another hybrid system you can use are the Flip diaper covers with prefolds or inserts.  I've read a lot of good reviews on them.  I like how they're one size so you don't have to buy more diapers once your baby goes through the different stages.  I think I may use those as well as the bumGenius 4.0 one-size diapers. 
  • Some cities have cloth diaper stores where you can go and look at there merch. and talk to the fine folks that work there. That's what I did. A combo of ordering from the website and storefront. Talking to people in the know made me more confidant of my decision!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I CD our LO too. I started when she was 1 month old. I didn't feel like dealing with the extra laundry when I got out of the hospital. We use pockets and I really like them! I bought Sunbabies. They are a lot cheaper than some of the other CD's out there. They were $60/12 inserts/covers. I only have 24 diapers and 36 inserts, so I'm doing CD laundry every other day. My LO hates to be wet and we sometimes have leaks during naps. I choose to use disposibles overnight and when we go out. I hardly go anywhere, so a box of diapers last us about a month.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I did with both of my children and I plan on with the 3rd. I had a diapering service it costs about $30 bi-weekly. It was worth it. They delivered and picked up the soiled diapers. They even supplied a pail with a deordizer to house the sioled diapers in the house.

It also was helpful to have extra cloth diapers around to use as burping cloths. Loved it!

• I'm a FTM and we are going to cloth diaper also.  We got the GroVia hybrids.  I'm anxiously waiting for them to arrive.  My friends swear by CD and I'm all about saving money.  I'm getting in the habit of doing at least 1 load of laundry each night to make sure that the diapers get washed.
    Married since 3/20/2010 Expecting Baby #1 on 6/9/2012
  • We CD also! We have sunbabies and some fitteds and covers. I also use prefolds with a snappi and cover. It saves a lot of money! I agree to check out the cloth diapering board. They are very helpful!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We CD our daughter and we absolutely love it.  Between the money that we save and never having to worry about running out have been great.  DD has only had diaper rash once and it wasn't that bad. 

We use Bum Genius 4.0 pockets with the snaps exclusively and have been using them since she was born.

A few stores have trial packages to help you find the type that you like the best.

I bought all of our diapers at Abbyslane.com

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks ladies for all your input... It feels great to know other military mamas are cloth diapering too. I can't wait for my baby girl to be here so I can try the cloth diapers out. =)
  • I also CD. It's been great for my lo's sensitive skin! And yes, I love saving money!
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• I also CD. It's been great for my lo's sensitive skin! And yes, I love saving money!
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• We use gDiapers. It has helped us a ton financially. My mom bought 1/2 the diapers for us as presents and living on base we don't worry about the extra water and electricity. I love that all we had was the initial investment and now we don't have to worry about paying for diapers EVER again, we are also saving them in case we have more kids so that just adds up to more savings :)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersBabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMzROXYY:

I'm curious and wanted to know if any of you all cloth diapers your children? If so, what kind of cloth diapers do you use and does it really help your family financially? 

My husband and I are in our mid 20s and are having our first baby. I have always felt strongly about trying to be environmentally friendly and so we have decided to do the hybrid cloth diaper system. I will be a stay at home mommy so I will have the time to do the extra laundry. 

I am active duty Air Force and we cloth diaper. I have a lot of concerns for the environment and when I found out how long diapers stay in the landfill, it was a no brainer. I was lucky bc I got my diapers from my sister who had twins and decided not to diaper. My mother bought chinese flat diapers like these https://www.diaperware.com/productpage/prefolds.html#indianflat bc its what she used on my sister and I. Couple with diaper covers https://www.thirstiesbaby.com/products/cloth-diapers/cloth-diaper-covers/ and these fastners https://www.amazon.com/Toddler-Size-Snappi-Diaper-Fastener/dp/B000U03IRC , I think CD is easier than disposables. We wash on the power cycle every 3d with regular tide, so far at 5mth so good. Unfortunately, daycare does not CD but you don't have to worry about that. I think worth the cost (especially if you CD with subsequent kids) and the effect on the environment. Message me if you have any questions!
    33 yo, DH with MFI Iui x4, Dec 2009 to Jan2011 all BFN.... IVF May 2011 BFP, mc June 2011 at 6.5 weeks, FET Oct 2011 BFP! Sweet baby girl born 25 June 2012** started adoption process Feb 2010, approved Oct 2010, failed match in delivery rooms Feb & Aug 2011... Birthmom called back 3d after we returned home. Aug 26 2011, our sweet baby boy comes home for good!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"