Georgia Babies
Options

Development

Our 3 year old hasn't started writing her letters yet although she can recognize them and say her alphabet.

Besides working one on one with her, should she see someone about it?  I'm not sure if this is something to worry about or just chalk it up to her being a late bloomer (she also just finally fully potty trained about a month ago).

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Development

• Options
    That's not a 3 year old developmental milestone. My ds who turned 4 this week can only form like two recognizable letters. He's not interested in it so I don't work on it at all outside of whatever he gets from preschool. He's very interested in the letter, recognizing them, spelling our names, what words rhyme and learning how to spell simple words. We just work on that for now since he's interested. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMrs Manners:
    That's not a 3 year old developmental milestone. My ds who turned 4 this week can only form like two recognizable letters. He's not interested in it so I don't work on it at all outside of whatever he gets from preschool. He's very interested in the letter, recognizing them, spelling our names, what words rhyme and learning how to spell simple words. We just work on that for now since he's interested. 
    This. Gavin can only make the G so far. 3 is too young to worry about this.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, 3 is really young to be writing letters. My ds who is next month just learned to write his 4 letter name, 2 of which are the same letter.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Whew.  Thanks for answering.  Someone had told me last night that she should be already writing a few letters by now and I was surprised because I thought that was young also.

Thank you ladies.

• Options
    I'm an early childhood educator and I agree that this is a little young.  It's more important to focus on developing language, rhyme (and rime), and concepts of print at this age, rather than working on specific letters.  There are some children who are ready and interested, but if not, there's nothing to worry about.  I would focus more energy on making reading together a fun activity that the family shares to help develop language, vocabulary and interest. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"