VBAC

XP- 1st appt & a sort of re-intro

Hi all! I did a brief intro back when this board 1st started but haven't been back much since. Well, we're pregnant now so I'll be hanging out more. )

Anyway, I wasn't sure VBAC would even be possible for me even though I'm a good candidate medically. Some backstory - VBAC is very "controversial" around here. Only a handful of OBs in the Upstate of SC will do it, & it's illegal for a midwife attending a VBAC w/o a backup OB, so no birth centers offer VBAC. I would strongly consider HB (prefer it in many ways), but we live 30+ minutes from the hospital, so DH isn't game & I worry about the distance too. 

Anyway, the largest local hospital started a Midwifery Care center a few months back, & they have backup OBs so they can do VBAC! They are even doing water birth in the hospital. I found out about the center the day before my 1st prenatal appt with my old OB,so I called & ended up talking to the head midwife for 30 minutes & had my appt scheduled in right away. 

The difference in attitude was night & day. Instead of getting that "why are you asking questions/I'm in a hurry/appts shouldn't last more than 10 mins" feeling, I felt welcome & listened to. It was wonderful. I'm so excited - just had to share! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP- 1st appt & a sort of re-intro

• Welcome back and congrats on your pregnancy!

I didn't realize you were in Greenville.  I live in Asheville.  I'm glad to hear you have found a good option for VBAC there, I'd be interested to hear more about the Midwifery Care center and how they do things.   

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageiris427:

Welcome back and congrats on your pregnancy!

I didn't realize you were in Greenville.  I live in Asheville.  I'm glad to hear you have found a good option for VBAC there, I'd be interested to hear more about the Midwifery Care center and how they do things.   

We love Asheville! One of our BFF's moved there when he remarried last year & we're hoping DH's work builds a store there someday.

I'll keep everyone posted on how it progresses. My initial reaction is really good. The midwife also made it clear they fight hard to keep the normal hospital routines & procedures limited - no IVs unless necessary, no continuous monitoring, etc. The office is currently in the medical office building attached to the hospital, but they are moving across the street in a few months. 

This is their link - sorry not clicky, using Safari:

https://www.ghswomens.org/greenville-midwifery-care.php

Their FB is great too.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hurray!  That is fantastic, I hope your pregnancy goes well and you have a wonderful VBAC with your new providers :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • GL and welcome!!!  I had a hospital waterbirth VBAC with a midwife group in Denver.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!  

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"