Parenting after 35

Re: Tylenol for Immunization Pain/ Fever

This is from my BIL ,who is a doctor at a large hospital in Milwaukee, WI.  It is from the AMA (American Medical Assoc) bulletin .   Very interesting and not very well known.... 

"Using acetaminophen following vaccination may reduce efficacy, research suggests.

The Los Angeles Times (10/15, Maugh) "Booster Shots" blog reported, "Giving acetaminophen -- best known by the brand-name Tylenol -- to infants along with vaccines to prevent fevers from developing reduces the effectiveness of the vaccines."

A number of parents swear by the acetaminophen regimen, "and some doctors recommend" it, the AP (10/16, Marchione) points out. The "CDC's vaccine advisory panel says it is a reasonable thing to do for children at high risk of seizures, which can be triggered by fevers." However, "military and government scientists in the Czech Republic" uncovered evidence that may undermine the practice after evaluating children at 10 medical centers.

The "children were vaccinated against diphtheria, tetanus, poliomyelitis, hepatitis B, whooping cough, diarrhea-causing rotaviruses and Haemophilus influenzae type B," Bloomberg News (10/16, Fourcade) reported. Investigators then divided the 459 participants. "One group received three doses of" acetaminophen "after vaccination and the other didn't."

Investigators noted "fewer infants who received acetaminophen had a fever, but these babies also had significantly fewer antibodies against pneumococcal disease, Haemophilus influenzae type b, diphtheria and tetanus toxoids, and for one of the whooping cough antibodies compared with infants who did not get acetaminophen," HealthDay (10/15, Reinberg) reported.

After "booster doses at 12 to 15 months, children who received prophylactic acetaminophen still had reduced immune responses to the vaccines against pneumococcal disease, Hib, and tetanus," MedPage Today (10/15, Neale) reported. WebMD (10/15, DeNoon) and BBC News (10/16) also cover the story. "

AMA Morning Rounds is a digest of the most important medical news and information selected from thousands of sources by the editors of Custom Briefings. The AMA does not receive any revenue from the advertising herein. The presence of such advertising does not endorse, or imply endorsement of, any products or services by the AMA.

SAHM to 2 boys (3 & 16 yrs) & 2 girls (5 & 8 yrs)

Our Angel Boy- m/c in 2007 @ 9wks due to Trisomy 17

Re: Re: Tylenol for Immunization Pain/ Fever

• mwdmwd member

Thank you for this.  I have always been told to give my kids tylenol after getting shots, not before hand.  One child reacts well to shots,the other gets a brief fever.  I really never thought that tylenol was neccesary, and glad to read the doctors in MIlwaukee are agreeing with me!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemwd:

Thank you for this.  I have always been told to give my kids tylenol after getting shots, not before hand.  One child reacts well to shots,the other gets a brief fever.  I really never thought that tylenol was neccesary, and glad to read the doctors in MIlwaukee are agreeing with me!!

You're welcome fellow Wisconsinite!  BIL is a doc at Columbia St. Mary's in Milwaukee.  Ever since he sent me this I avoid medicating the kids at all cost before and after shots.  The only time I would consider it (and it has not come to thsi yet) would be if they had a high fever and were really uncomfortable.

SAHM to 2 boys (3 & 16 yrs) & 2 girls (5 & 8 yrs)

Our Angel Boy- m/c in 2007 @ 9wks due to Trisomy 17
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the info.  I did give my LO some Tylenol around 3am bc of fever but tis is good information to have going forward.

Thanks! 

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"