April 2012 Moms

Overweight mamas - Baby Carrier??

Don't know why I'm question happy tonight.  Anyway, I would love a baby carrier, but I'm concerned that I'm a plus size mama and will baby carriers *gulp* fit me? I'd hate to register, or even pay out of pocket, for a baby carrier just to have it not fit.  I really want the Ergo, so if someone has some experience on this, that would be great.  Even if you're not a plus size mama, second time moms, do you feel a certain baby carrier expands to fit multiple sizes well? Oh, and pre-preg I was a size 18/20.

(Ew, I just put my size online)

TIA! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Overweight mamas - Baby Carrier??

• I have a Moby and an Ergo. Both fit both me and my husband. (I'm a bigger girl, probably a 14/16, and my husband is a big guy). There are also K'Tans, which I'm thinking about buying for this baby, and an XL is for dress size 18-20 (pre pregnancy). I haven't tried on a K'Tan, but it looks to be a more simplified Moby. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have an ergo and it worked great for me!
  • Loading the player...
  • You should be fine! I was a 20 pre-preg and wore our moby and tried on an Ergo at a store and they fit fine!

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I bought an Infantino Flip and (while I haven't had the baby yet) it fits me no problem.  And it was really affordable, so if our baby hates it we won't have dropped a bunch of money on it.

ETA: I'm an 18 top and 20 pants pre-preg

• I haven't tried the Ergo or Moby, but I was actually looking into making my own Moby-type sling.  It seems fairly easy, and there are a lot of online tutorials to make your own- you can buy more fabric to fit your size, and adjust it on your own.  I figured it would be the way I could ensure that something would fit me, and be a bit more economical.
  • The Ergo has a waist extender if you need it, but I was a 14/16 after having DD and didn't need it. Plenty of plus size women at playgroup use the Boba without issue as well and the Moby has more than enough fabric!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My SIL uses a Moby and she's considered obese.
    DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • imageChelseyB5186:
    I haven't tried the Ergo or Moby, but I was actually looking into making my own Moby-type sling.  It seems fairly easy, and there are a lot of online tutorials to make your own- you can buy more fabric to fit your size, and adjust it on your own.  I figured it would be the way I could ensure that something would fit me, and be a bit more economical.

I did make my own ring sling, because I found a super cute clearance fabric that I could get for WAY cheaper than what most ring slings would cost! And you can buy the ring sling rings online for like $5! (You really need to buy the special rings though if you make your own, because they don't have a seam that could come apart while wearing it.)

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I had a moby (ergo was a bit out of my budget) and I loved it.  You wrap the fabric around you so it isn't really a set size.  I was a size 12 after Z was born and there was plenty of exta fabric on the moby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
  • I had a Moby and an Ergo with DS, and both worked for me. I liked to wear the Ergo around my hips when I was carrying DS in the front, and the strap just fit over my hips (I wore size 16/18.) without me getting the extender. (I didn't need to use the full length of the strap when carrying DS on my back, because I had the waist strap at my natural waist instead of at my hips.)

The Ergo was really comfortable to wear (even for extended periods of time...like all day at the mall) from the time DS was 4 weeks (when I could handle the waist strap over my incision) until he wanted to walk and not have mommy carry him (around 20 months).

ETA: You can find Ergos on babysteals.com on a regular basis. They do sell out fast when they have them, though.

• Ladies, thank you!  This is all great advice and I really appreciate you chiming in!  I feel much better and relieved!  I was given a Baby Bijorn by a friend who used it and is done with babies.....but I'm not in love.  I haven't tried it on yet, but I feel like it is not versatile compared to other carriers and I've heard it can be painful on the back.  My other friend has a Moby....I might have to try that on for fun and see (looks a bit challenging to use).  Ergo would be fun to try on in store! (I didn't know you could do that.)

Thanks all! 

• I know I'm late to the party, I'm a plus size mama (size 14-16 ore pregnancy) and I used a Moby until my son was 4 months or so. Smaller mamas can tie it in the back and then again in the front I just tied it in the back, which is still comfortable and safe. We also have an Ergo that we love, the sport version has a longer waist band, DH is 5'11" and 300 lbs and it fits him fine, you can even by extenders if need be, you should be able to find something thy works! I also loved my ring sling!
  • I have an Ergo and love it! We used it a ton with DS and I'm a plus sized girl same as you. It fit me fine with room to spare. My son also really liked it, I got it for him when he was a bit older and I could wear him comfortably on my back for a long time (2ish hours) while riding or working with cattle without any pain. He was well over 30 pounds at the time!

• I'm so glad you asked this. I registered for a moby and ergo and I was afraid the moby wouldn't work on me.
  • I wore an 18 pre-pregnancy and over Thanksgiving, wore my friend's 10 month old in his Ergo for awhile (practice!)  It was no problem.  Another friend gave me her Baby Bjorn (which I'm keeping though am still not sure how much I'll use) and I tried that on recently and even with the bump, it fit fine.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I would recommend the Ergo. I used the baby bjorn for the first few months and it killed my back! I used the moby as well, and I was a 14 after having my son and it seemed kind of tight on me with a baby in it, but I may have just been wrapping it wrong. I plan on trying it again with this baby, but the Ergo is def my favorite. If the moby doesn't work out, I'll just get the infant insert for the ergo. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"