May 2011 Moms

Humidifiers

Do you use a humidifier in your LO's room? When do you use it? Do you let it run overnight?

With the cold weather here (-30's Brrrrrrr) I've noticed DS's skin is getting really dry so I think it's time to start using the humidifier a bit more.  I've never really used one before so I'm just wondering what everyone else does.  Is it safe to leave it running overnight?   I usually just turn it on for an hour or two before DS goes to bed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby #2 on the way! BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Humidifiers

• Now that is has gotten really cold here and we have the heat on a lot we have the humidifier on almost around the clock. We have a temp/humidity thermometer so we keep the humidity level between 40 and 50% anything above 50% can cause allergy problems anything below 40% can cause dryness in nasal passages and skin and since DS has eczema I have to make sure the house is not too warm and not too dry. I wouldn't have a humidifier on without one of these thermometers. HTH.
  • We run ours all night whenever DD has a cold. We have a crane cool mist.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It is incredibly dry here in the winter. We ran a humidifier around the clock even pre-baby. We now have two going, one in his room and one in the living room.
  • We have an old school Vicks vaporizer that we run in DD's room about every other night now that's cold. Our house is ancient and it's super dry. Her little cheeks and chin are all dried out. Poor bug. I know "they" all say to use a cool mist humidifier but I honestly could not find one that was easily cleanable, so old school boiling water we went.
    BFP #2 5/31/12 CP 5w2d 6/4/12 BFP #3 7/9/12 EDD 3/8/13 Another Girl!! Lilypie Pregnancy tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I run one around the clock in both kids rooms. It's just so dry here!

And since I've been through about 6 of them, I'll make a recommendation too. It's costly, but it's worth it. You won't ever deal with nasty mold build up, filters or anything like that. I've literally gone through a Crane, Vicks, Protec...every single one of them pales in comparison to this beast.  :)

Pure Guardian Humidifier

• We use the Vicks hot humidifier because that's what I had before we had LO.  It says it has an auto shut off if it goes dry, but we change the water every day, so it's never an issue.  We run it all night and when we're home all day we run it all day too.  It's so dry right now LO's eczema is *just* under control and my hands are cracked no matter how much lotion I use or water I drink (though I think my office is the bigger culprit there!)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We run Mason's every night with his dry skin and stuffy nose.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"