December 2010 Moms

Stomach Bug or Food Allergy??

Since Monday of last week, my son has had intermittent diarrhea and vomiting. He had some diarrhea at daycare that monday then that night he threw up all in his crib over night, and the next morning he had diarrhea again for a little while...then he was fine for the rest of the day. He has had at least one diarrhea type diaper a day (always in the morning time) since this has been going on and has thrown up about 5 or 6 times (always in the middle of the night). We have not given him any dairy since this began, except FI gave him icecream the other night and that was a really big mess of vomit to clean up later that night.

Last night he at a little before 8 and was asleep by 8:30. He woke up at almost 3 am throwing up. I would think his food should have digested in that length of time, but it seems like it's not for some reason. The doctor's office acted like it was just a bug, until I gave more details, then they simply said he really needs to be seen. I'm hoping it's not celiac disease, and I don't think it's a lactose intolerance since it has continued with no milk or dairy. We see the doctor tomorrow afternoon, but has or is anyone experiencing anything like this? A stomach bug doesn't usually last almost 2 weeks, so I'm baffled. Thanks!

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Stomach Bug or Food Allergy??

• My son had a stomach virus the week after Christmas and it was very similar to what you described. He started with vomiting on a Thursday and it continued, but only sporadically, for days. He would be fine for 12 hours, then he'd vomit, fine for 6 hours, then a diarrhea diaper, etc etc. Finally a nurse at the pediatrician's office suggested putting him on complete digestive rest for 24 hours. She told us to only offer water, clear broth, jello, and popsicles. She said that with babies it takes longer for their digestive tract to heal and that she didn't think he had a bug anymore, but that maybe he was only vomiting sporadically because food was still irritating him. I tried it, and then slowly introduced the BRAT diet for the next 48 hours after the all clear diet, and it worked for us. I know you mentioned that you cut out dairy, but has he been eating other solids? I hope its just a bug and that your little guy feels better soon!
  • Yes, he's been eating other solids and has a good appetite, but it seems like whatever he eats doesn't agree with him in the middle of the night. That would definitely make sense for it to take longer for him to heal from a stomach bug. I will talk to the doctor about putting him on digestive rest for a day and hopefully something like that will help! I feel terrible for the little fellow! Thanks a lot!

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedeziyou:

Yes, he's been eating other solids and has a good appetite, but it seems like whatever he eats doesn't agree with him in the middle of the night. That would definitely make sense for it to take longer for him to heal from a stomach bug. I will talk to the doctor about putting him on digestive rest for a day and hopefully something like that will help! I feel terrible for the little fellow! Thanks a lot!

You're welcome! I hope you get more reassurance when you talk to your pedi, good luck!
  • imagedeziyou:

Yes, he's been eating other solids and has a good appetite, but it seems like whatever he eats doesn't agree with him in the middle of the night. That would definitely make sense for it to take longer for him to heal from a stomach bug. I will talk to the doctor about putting him on digestive rest for a day and hopefully something like that will help! I feel terrible for the little fellow! Thanks a lot!

You're welcome! I hope you get more reassurance when you talk to your pedi, good luck!
  • Food allergies most often cause fairly immediate reactions.  DS has a milk allergy and his allergist said most reactions occur within 1 hour of consumption.  So, you'd normally see hives or immediate vomiting or trouble breathing pretty quickly.  He might still have an intolernace to some component of milk though that could be causing tummy troubles but you mentioned he's been mostly off it for a while so not sure here.  Either way though, I really hope he's feeling better soon and sounds like a good plan you're headed to the pedi tomorrow.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"