Food Allergy
Options

Gem of a question from the MIL

My LO has a milk protein allergy and is EBF, so I have been milk-free since we found out about it when he was a month old.  As sure as I sit here and type this, my MIL asked a question the other day that I had to sit for a minute and wonder "did she really just ask that??" 

Her question: Can you eat macaroni and cheese if you use non-dairy butter and soy milk instead of regular milk?  (Note: she was talking about the Kraft Mac and Cheese with the powder stuff).

It took my FIL and me no less than 10 minutes to explain to MIL that I still can't have it, even if we use non-dairy butter and soy milk.  She just didn't get it.  This really makes me a lot less confident about letting her babysit LO when he starts eating solids.

So there's this boy. He kinda stole my heart. He calls me "Mom"

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Voted "Mom of the Year" 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Gem of a question from the MIL

• Options
    I can top that.  My MIL didn't know that butter had dairy.  Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    it's a wierd question for sure.  but in her defense- I don't know if that powder stuff should count as cheese :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageg_belle:
    it's a wierd question for sure.  but in her defense- I don't know if that powder stuff should count as cheese :)

This! lol

Frustrating. I would definitely be sure to have a strict, drawn up food plan if she is going to watch LO. Maybe you provide 100% of the foods? Hopefully she won't try to pull rank and feed LO something you don't bring, but maybe that way you can control what is being fed.

• Options

And I can top that....my MIL made a separate turkey for me one Thanksgiving because the one she made for everyone else was a Butterball (so she assumed it must contain butter!) LOL!!

Stick out tongue

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I sheepishly admit that I almost made myself macaroni and cheese once with rice milk and dairy free margarine back when I was breastfeeding.  I felt like such an idiot when I realized that duh, cheese is dairy.

And yes, I have been shocked at the number of people who don't realize that butter is dairy.  When I ask about dairy at restaurants, I always say does it have dairy?  No butter, cheese, milk or cream.  You can't take anything for granted.

• Options
    When I was first telling my sweet grandma about having Celiac disease I said that I can't have anything with wheat, barley or rye in it.  So traditional bread, pasta, etc. etc. was out.  She patted my hand and said "well at least you can still have white bread".  I said "huh?" and she explained that as long as I avoided wheat bread I'd be okay, because white bread is just made with flour.  I blew her mind when I told her that "flour" is made from wheat!  :)
  • Options
    My MIL asked me if egg nog had egg.
    Married 09/04/04 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"