Austin Babies

Why does brown rice take so long to cook?

It takes an hour compared to white that only takes about 30 minutes. I have to plan ahead to cook brown rice. Do rice cookers cook rice quicker? I'm just getting home today and I really wanted brown rice since its the only non veggie or lean protien food I can eat right now. I'm annoyed. And hungry. ;-)

Re: Why does brown rice take so long to cook?

• Can you eat quinoa? It's not a grain, but a seed. The red quinoa is delicious and easy to cook.

You can also cook up a lot of brown rice tonight and it keeps well in the fridge, especially if you bake it al la Alton Brown. 

• Brown rice still has layers of husk on it (compared to no husk with white rice) so it takes a lot longer to cook.  

You can use a rice cooker but if you just steam it as is, the rice will come out a little tough/undercooked.  To get "perfect" brown rice in a rice cooker, you really need to let it soak for 15-30 minutes before cooking (which usually takes 15-20 depending on the rice cooker). 

• Loading the player...
  • PM/FB me your address and I'll send you some trader joe's brown rice that cooks quicker. :)
  • imageMrsAJL:

Can you eat quinoa? It's not a grain, but a seed. The red quinoa is delicious and easy to cook.

You can also cook up a lot of brown rice tonight and it keeps well in the fridge, especially if you bake it al la Alton Brown. 

I'm not sure but I'll ask. Never had it before. Do you cook it the way you do rice or use the same seasoning? Like I cool my brown rice with a little chicken bullion to season it a little. Do you do the same with quinoa? 
  • If i cook quinoa, I use some broth to give some flavor. This is my new method of making brown rice, it comes out perfect: https://pinchmysalt.com/2009/04/06/how-to-cook-perfect-brown-rice/
  • We got an awesome new rice cooker for Christmas and it takes 110 minutes for brown rice..but..it has a delay timer that you can set before you leave for work and it will be ready by the time you get home (which also allows it to soak for a while). It can also be used as a veggie steamer and slow cooker.
  • Soaking helps with the added benefits that it boosts nutritional value by getting rid of enzyme inhibitors and unlocks enzymes that make them easier to digest. You should be soaking all nuts, grains, legumes, etc. 
  • Soaked nuts are fabulous! (that's what she said) But seriously, walnuts and almonds are my favorite.

For brown rice - I usually cook up 2 or 3 cups on the weekend and freeze what we don't eat that night, or plan to eat the next day.  It freezes really well and is so easy, and relatively quick, to thaw out.  I freeze in ziploc bags and it's easy to break off just a bit if I'm the only one who wants rice with the meal.

• imagebobcatsteph:
    110 minutes for brown rice

?!?!?

That is a crazy-ass long time.  How much rice are you cooking at once? 

• imageMrsMillerTime:

imagebobcatsteph:
    110 minutes for brown rice

?!?!?

That is a crazy-ass long time.  How much rice are you cooking at once? 

2 cups! I guess it's a slow steaming process. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"