room sharing — The Bump
Military Families

room sharing

So i am having my second boy and i would like to keep my toy room and have my boys share a room while they are still smaller. Anyway i have been told by other military wives that that is not aloud on military housing and that unless they are super close in age they are not aloud to share a room. 

Does anyone know why this is and what the age is to where they cant share. I personally think its dumb that they can tell me i cant let my two boys share a room.  

Re: room sharing

• I think that only applies if they are different genders. I would double check with your base housing office.
    imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimage
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    September Siggy Challenge: Teenage Crush
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
    BFP 9/22/2011 It's a boy! 1/03/2012 DS born 6/6/2012
    TTC #2 August 2014
  • I also thought it only applied for different genders. I can't remember where I heard/read it though, sorry. I think the rule is more to protect people with multiple kids from being stuck in a house that's too small. Like if you have a boy and a girl that are above a certain age you must have a house big enough that they can be in separate rooms. As PP said, you should check with your housing office.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry if the formatting is weird.  I'm C&Ping from the DoD reg.

(4) Bedroom Requirements. For purposes of determining the price-bedroom segments, the installation commander shall provide the HRMA contractor with bedroom requirement estimates for military personnel. For purposes of the analysis, accompanied personnel are estimated to have requirements for two-, three-, or four-bedroom units based on the number of family members and grade of the Service member. The guidelines in subparagraphs 1.d.(4)(a) through (e) of this enclosure may be applied for estimating military housing requirements: 

(a) In determining the suitability of locally available housing and when assigning to on-base quarters, installation commanders should make a reasonable attempt to assign one bedroom for each dependent. However, where family size and existing inventory preclude this option, no more than two persons should share a bedroom unless the installation commander determines the bedroom is large enough to accommodate more.
    (b) Any child over 10 years of age is authorized a bedroom.
    (c) Two children of the same sex under the age of 10 years may share a bedroom.
    (d) When there are two children of the opposite sex (boy and girl) under the age of 6 years, the oldest child will be eligible for a bedroom when he or she turns 6 years old.
    (e) Unaccompanied personnel are assumed to have a minimum requirement for one bedroom.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/416563m.pdf

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Well thats good to know, some girl was throwing a fit that they would not let her two daughters age 2 and 6 share a room. Also though i do recall her daughter having diagnosed anger issues so that may have had something to do with it. 

Thanks for the info 

• I have never heard of base housing telling you you're not allowed to let your kids share a room. I was under the impression it had to do with what you were offered. So, we qualify for a 4 bedroom, but if I choose to put my 4 kids in one room in two sets of bunk beds, and then use the other two as a study room and a play room, then so be it. I can't imagine them coming into my home and telling me my kids cannot share even if I want them to.
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • image hunt2005:
    I have never heard of base housing telling you you're not allowed to let your kids share a room. I was under the impression it had to do with what you were offered. So, we qualify for a 4 bedroom, but if I choose to put my 4 kids in one room in two sets of bunk beds, and then use the other two as a study room and a play room, then so be it. I can't imagine them coming into my home and telling me my kids cannot share even if I want them to.

This. My MIL's co-op board has similar rules. She bought her apartment when DH and BIL were little, and she had to put her MIL on the lease too to get a three bedroom so each boy could have a room. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yeah it's not about what you can and cannot do (unless you are fostering and have to follow those guidelines), it's about what you qualify for as far as number of bedrooms. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards