Postpartum Depression
Options

is this postpartum depression? help

i am pretty new to posting and all this, but ive been reading posts and i need some help. i am really irritable, bitchy, upset and annoyed more days than not. since ive had my kid im pretty hot and cold about liking her. sometimes i love her so much it makes me ache and sometimes im so upset im a mom and wish for my life before the baby and then guilty that i feel that way. my doc has suggested meds, i took one one day and then never again since i dont really want to take meds.....am i just having a personality adjustment to being a new mom or could this be ppd?

Re: is this postpartum depression? help

• Options

It's so hard to tell.

If you've just had your baby and are still in the 'sleep deprevation' stage, it could be either or both.  There are A LOT of hormones happening, life readjustment and that sleep deprevation thing that screw a mom ALL up. 

If it's been a while, it points closer to PPD.  If your doctor has already suggested meds, I'd give it a shot.  I know there's a hesitation to take medication because of the social stigma, and also if you are BFing.  For the 2nd: there are many safe drugs out there to take.  Make sure you have one of those and don't worry about it.  A happy mommy far outweighs the miniscule risk (in many of our minds).  For the 1st: it's a hurtle that many who take mood altering/improvement/howeveryoucallit drugs have had to get over.  If it's going to be the thing that takes the edge off, or removes that film of bad feelings that you aren't used to - and helps you feel more like your old self, just with being a mom - it can really be worth it.  But it takes 2 weeks or more for meds to become really effective.

I'd consider starting them for a few weeks to see how it goes, with no improvement or especially if it gets worse, go back to your doctor.  And talk to your DH/SO/BFF/mom/someone who you trust.  Let someone know what you are going through that can give you some emotional support and help watch for the more serious signs of PPD.

~hug~

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your response to the post!  Reading what you wrote made me feel so much better and put a lot into perspective.  Hearing/reading your response justifying taking meds was a huge relief and let me know if that is the course I choose to take its is OK.  Thank you for taking the time to respond!  Smile
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    it has been a while and I've decided I want to enjoy my child, she will never be this small again and I don't want to miss this special time so I started taking the meds,  I am hopeful they will help.......thank you so much for taking the time to respond
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"