May 2012 Moms

How much do diapers cost a month on average?

I was wondering, because I have ZERO experience, how much diapers cost a month.  I understand this could be a "where you live" and "what you buy" type of question so lets assume that you live near a major city so things are a but more expensive and, being so,  you buy try to buy bargin as much as you can.  DH and I want to cloth diaper but since we will be having to put our child in daycare, there is no real point for us to buy a system when we can only use it for 4 months.

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                     BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
      BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                               BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

Re: How much do diapers cost a month on average?

• Depends on what brand you use.  But, to give you an idea:

-Newborn to around 3-4 months, you use about 8-10 diapers a day.

- 4-12 months, you use around 5-6 a day

- 12 months and up, maybe 3-4  a day

We've always used the Kirkland Brand from Cosco.  I find Pampers/Huggies etc. VERY heavily scented and they would always give DD a rash. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • For us with Amazon Mom, $30 a month.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • When DD was first born we changed her every 3 hours.  She was on a set schedule becuase she was a NICU baby.  So we were using about 8 a day. 

Once we brought DD home we probably used more like 10-12 a day in the early days.  Sometimes when the baby is fussing you try anything, even if the diaper doesn't seem wet you'll change it because that is on your list of things to try.  Also, I would change her when leaving the house no matter how long it had been since her previous change.  She'd have to have her diaper removed for her weight checks at the doctors and I always put a fresh diaper on her after those visits.  Luckily the itty bitty diapers come in giant boxes!

Our daycare changes diapers as needed, but at least every 2 hours, so she is still using 3 - 4 diapers a day just at daycare and that is if she doesn't have any BMs in between diaper changes. I would estimate that on an average day she is using 6 - 7 regular diapers and 1 night time diaper.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageBelleIsa:

Depends on what brand you use.  But, to give you an idea:

We've always used the Kirkland Brand from Cosco.  I find Pampers/Huggies etc. VERY heavily scented and they would always give DD a rash. 

This is a good starter point.  We used Pampers Brand with DD and had no issue but every baby is different and reacts differently to the diapers.  I have been putting $50 a month away to have a diaper reserve once baby is born.  Also using coupons and looking for deals is another way to save.

P.S. Belle I LOVE your Schanuzer.  I have two miniatures Smile

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • i've heard really good things about registering as an amazon.com mom and subscribing for diaper delivery... we are totally considering it!
  • imagedayzchic9:
    i've heard really good things about registering as an amazon.com mom and subscribing for diaper delivery... we are totally considering it!

How do you go about doing that? 

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• My sister and my cousin suggested getting a package each time I go to the grocery store/Target.  That way you're not having to get large amounts so frequently.  I'm a little hesitant because I won't know if LO is sensitive to a specific type or not until he comes but I'd like to start building up a stash now to spread out the cost.
  • Just wanted to throw in there that a lot of places I have talked to are open to Cloth diapers, you just have to ask! If you are using the AIOs it is no different than changing a disposable, except instead of a a garbage bin you are putting the diaper in a wet bag to give to the parents when the pick up LO. Every place I have talked to is open to using them, even though they currently don't have any clients that use them. So I'd ask before you rule it out completely!
    Married July 17, 2009
    Parker Ellwood born May 11, 2012
    Baby #2 Due March 9, 2015

• imagejohnson617:
    Just wanted to throw in there that a lot of places I have talked to are open to Cloth diapers, you just have to ask! If you are using the AIOs it is no different than changing a disposable, except instead of a a garbage bin you are putting the diaper in a wet bag to give to the parents when the pick up LO. Every place I have talked to is open to using them, even though they currently don't have any clients that use them. So I'd ask before you rule it out completely!

Unfortunately places around here aren't so accommodating.  Its one of my number questions and I haven't gotten a a yes yet. Sad  

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• We have been slowly buying a package every two weeks or so I have about 75 newborn size diapers.  I will probably buy two more packets of those and start stashing the size up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebornmommy:

imagedayzchic9:
    i've heard really good things about registering as an amazon.com mom and subscribing for diaper delivery... we are totally considering it!

How do you go about doing that? 

Amazon Mom is undergoing some changes and they are not accepting new memberships right now.  You can sign up fo a wait list to be contacted if/when they reopen registration.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageBelleIsa:

really! DS still uses about 5-6 diapers a day. He likes a fresh diaper to poop in though....

We use Pampers brand. Went from Swaddlers to Cruisers. So, we buy about 1 box a month $30.00, but we would go through 2 boxes a month when he was younger....but then again SO would go through 2-3 diapers a diaper change. Cuz DS would either start peeing or pooping while SO was changing him. Or SO would put the new diaper under him and get that one dirty while wiping. Plus, SO still goes through about 6-7 wipes per poopy diaper change. He'd use 12 wipes when DS was a newborn. I use 1-2. lol.

I think we'll use less diapers this time around.

• imagegigismomma:
    imageBelleIsa:

This is a good starter point.  We used Pampers Brand with DD and had no issue but every baby is different and reacts differently to the diapers.  I have been putting $50 a month away to have a diaper reserve once baby is born.  Also using coupons and looking for deals is another way to save.

P.S. Belle I LOVE your Schanuzer.  I have two miniatures Smile

Thanks! His name is Guinness and he's my furbaby.  He's basically a cat in a dog's body, poor guy.  All he wants to do is lay in the sun and snuggle with us when we're sleeping...

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • Get Target brand diapers. They are almost half the price of Pampers. Its $20 for a box of 124 (in size 4) and it lasts about 3 weeks. I used to only buy Pampers because IMO they are the best at preventing leaks, then someone suggested Target brand to me. Honestly, I do not see a difference so I can't justify paying the higher price.
  • It varies on diaper size and age.  We get ours at BJs (and use a pampers coupon and a BJs coupon) and they are $30-40/ box currently we use 3/4 box a month.  When he was tiny we used just over a box and then moved to a box a month.

We budget $50/month and then use the extra $ for baby/kid stuff, it has worked really well since generally kid/baby stuff comes out of the household/groceries budget.

Note: Box being the wholesale box not the box you get at walmart 

• imagecatycombs:
    For us with Amazon Mom, $30 a month.
    Wow I wish we only bought 30 dollars a month. We also do amazon mom/prime and its usually 60 a month, diapers for daycare and diapers for home. And that's for him as a tiddler. It was probably 90ish as a newborn.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My friend use to run a daycare. She said by law they had to change a diaper every 2 hours so that averaged to 96 diapers. She said so just plan on using about 100 a week.

I have started to buy diapers and wipes every week.  I keep the receipt and tape it to the box that way I can return them later if need be. I told DH that I would rather have a stash of diapers then have to worry about buying them when he is already here.  I go to Sams Club. I got 210 diapers for under $40

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • imageCC.to.be:
    Get Target brand diapers. They are almost half the price of Pampers. Its $20 for a box of 124 (in size 4) and it lasts about 3 weeks. I used to only buy Pampers because IMO they are the best at preventing leaks, then someone suggested Target brand to me. Honestly, I do not see a difference so I can't justify paying the higher price.

This. We plan to cloth diaper our baby, but for my nephews, I always buy Target diapers and they are fab. Some serious, serious blow-outs that never actually got out were had in those diapers, so they hold up well. We'll have some of these in our house for our own baby, too, just in case. I've also heard the Costco brand are alright, but Huggies (the other kind they sell there) suck. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"