Pregnant after 35

Do pregnant women get sick easier?

Just wondering, this is my second cold in a month. Are our immune systems not functioning or is it just me?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do pregnant women get sick easier?

• At the moment of conception, your immune system (designed to protect you from foreign bodies) is suppressed to prevent reject of the baby (a foreign body) when it implants. It continues to be suppressed until delivery. This means you catch pretty much anything you've been exposed to, including mutated strains you've previously had and should be immune to.  In the end, it's worth it, right? BTW, this is why you have to be super careful with food born illness. Your body can't fight it off. 

• what pp said.

for me it's a bonus because i have several annoying auto-immune conditions that basically go into remission during pregnancy. 

• Loading the player...
  • Usually I never get sick, and have had multiple colds/coughs the last few months.  I want my old immune system back!  Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have felt really lucky not to get sick at all - knock on wood!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageFyreFlyeRush:

At the moment of conception, your immune system (designed to protect you from foreign bodies) is suppressed to prevent reject of the baby (a foreign body) when it implants. It continues to be suppressed until delivery. This means you catch pretty much anything you've been exposed to, including mutated strains you've previously had and should be immune to.  In the end, it's worth it, right? BTW, this is why you have to be super careful with food born illness. Your body can't fight it off. 

I was wondering about this too.  Thanks for the good info, FireFlye!

• imagetishamcmurry@yahoo.com:
    I have felt really lucky not to get sick at all - knock on wood!

Ditto... coupel of migraines and a couple of weeks of sinus's .. but other than that I have been great.  My immune system has always been pretty good tho.

• aggh sorry fat fingers and hyperactive mouse

• imagetishamcmurry@yahoo.com:
    I have felt really lucky not to get sick at all - knock on wood!

aggh sorry fat fingers and hyperactive mouse

• Thanks for the info! I've been a teacher for 8 years and thought my immune system was invincible! Luckily this second round of sickness seems to be passing quickly. 
  • Yes, pregnancy decreases your ability to fight things off. :(
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"