Military Families
Options

what to do with older kids while in labor

i am looking for advice on what to do with my 5 year old while im delivering. my husband is deployed and we are luckily stationed at the same post as my brother-in-law and sister, so she will be with me but im sure he will have to work. im not really close with anyone else (not enough to trust them with my daughter) what would you do in my situation?? anything will help

Re: what to do with older kids while in labor

• Options
    I would really try to find someone, anyone, who could watch your DD for a few hours until your BIL got off work. Even if it was drop in childcare on your post. At age 5 you are pretty in-tune with your surroundings and I think it would be hard see your mom in labor/pain and not fully understand what is going on. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Look for a mom's group to join, so you could make some friends, who could watch your daughter.  You can join sittercity for free because you are a military.  Search for a sitter that way and have her come before the baby arrives, so your daugther can be comfortable with her.  Otherwise, hire a doula and have your sister stay with your daughter.

We didn't have any family around, when DD2 arrived.  I had a friend that I had met through Stroller Strides watch her.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If it were me I would have my sister stay with my DD. I would either hire a doula or just deliver alone. I be more relaxed knowing my daughter is with someone I knew even if it meant I didn't have anyone with me. 

How far away are your parents or ILs? Could you call them when you go into labor and have them start coming your way.  GL it is hard to be without DH.

• Options
    both my husbands and my family are a 13 hours drive away. my mom said she'd come if i had a date she had to be there by. my BILs family is 2 hours away and i know his mom well and she loves my daughter like her own granddaughter so i might ask her to come in town and watch my daughter.
  • Options
    NSLNSL member
    My dad stayed with my older son when I was delivering our second, but my parents are retired and were able to come down a couple of weeks before my due date.  I'd look into finding a reliable sitter through friends' recommendations, and plan to have your sister watch your son if the sitter can't make it.
  • Options

imageloveN_387:
    both my husbands and my family are a 13 hours drive away. my mom said she'd come if i had a date she had to be there by. my BILs family is 2 hours away and i know his mom well and she loves my daughter like her own granddaughter so i might ask her to come in town and watch my daughter.

I think you figured it out, here. Have your sister watch your DD while you get checked into the hospital and your BIL's mom can start heading your way. Then when she shows up your sister can head to the hospital to be with you.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    If it were my Id rather be alone and leave DD with my SIL until BIL got off work. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • Options

I am in your same boat except i have no sister nearby, no family able to come and my husband will probably be on a training thing hopefully near by. I have been to sick to make friends. So my husband has told me i will have to call i think it was his commanders wife and she will help if i cant find anyone else. I will be looking into every babysitter i can find on this post and offering whatever pay anyone wants to keep him. I panicked at first and wanted to go home to my family, but my husband says this kind of stuff happens to military wives all the time and there has to be something there suppose to do. I will be looking into this more as i come closer to labor, the problem here is im at a station which is mostly for training so alot of the wives here now wont be here when i deliver. 

Try to get in contact with someone who knows more about this situation, i dont want to trust strangers either, thats why im only looking into other wives. I belong to a facebook page where other wives help each other all the time. If you can get involved in as many activities as possible. I dont know if you belong to a church but i was told maybe one of them would help me.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageChelsey68:

I am in your same boat except i have no sister nearby, no family able to come and my husband will probably be on a training thing hopefully near by. I have been to sick to make friends. So my husband has told me i will have to call i think it was his commanders wife and she will help if i cant find anyone else. I will be looking into every babysitter i can find on this post and offering whatever pay anyone wants to keep him. I panicked at first and wanted to go home to my family, but my husband says this kind of stuff happens to military wives all the time and there has to be something there suppose to do. I will be looking into this more as i come closer to labor, the problem here is im at a station which is mostly for training so alot of the wives here now wont be here when i deliver. 

Try to get in contact with someone who knows more about this situation, i dont want to trust strangers either, thats why im only looking into other wives. I belong to a facebook page where other wives help each other all the time. If you can get involved in as many activities as possible. I dont know if you belong to a church but i was told maybe one of them would help me.

How fortunate to be at the same base as your sister and BIL. What a gift!!

I'll be honest, it sounds to me like building a local support network is a good idea. It is fabulous that you have your sister to help, but it never hurts to have a back-up plan. It is difficult to do it all on your own when your DH is deployed (I know, mine missed our LO's birth and first nine months), but having a few friends makes all the difference. I know it's difficult, but IMO, when my DH is deployed, it's my job to hold down everything at home so that he doesn't worry about us (miss us, yes, worry, no). Depending upon your sister to be your only go to person is asking a lot. Chelsey gave some really good suggestions. Have you ever gone to MOPS? Are there any play groups that are held through something like Army Community Services?

I know it's difficult. I've been through one 15 month separation (training time and deployment) and we are PCSing to Germany soon and DH will deploy again, leaving me with our 2.5 year old in a country where I don't speak the language and the few people (acquaintances) I know are hours away. Honestly, part of me wants to crawl under the covers and come out in three years, but I know that I can't. So, I won't.

Best of luck with all that is to come. I hope your DH is able to see your new LO soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I worry about this already, too.  DH won't be deployed, but I know from past experience that I'm going to want him with me when I'm in the thick of labor.  (I actually did consider laboring alone so that DS can stay with DH-- honestly, it's not a good idea.)  DS will likely go to stay with some of our friends from playgroup.  That is, assuming we don't PCS before then.  If we end up somewhere new where we don't have a local support network, I have absolutely no idea what we'll do!

I agree that you need to get out and make some friends/form a support network.  It's invaluable when you don't have family nearby!  Have you checked with the spouses' clubs at your base (the ones here have playgroups)?  Another AWESOME place to find playgroups and other social outlets is on Meetup.com.

GL, mama!

Natural hospital birthing, babywearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, Baby Led Weaning, milk donating, extended breastfeeding, fully vaxing, extended rear facing SAHM to:
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"