VBAC

VBAC consents... previous post got me thinking

My OB hasn't even mentioned a consent form, nor have we really talked about risks at length. When I originally mentioned wanting a VBAC, she was very casual and said, "ok. you're a great candidate" and VERY briefly shared stats on VBACs and RCSs. I remember from my 6-week post-partum check when I voiced sadness regarding my C-section (DD turned breech at 39 weeks) she said that I can have a vaginal birth next time. She is a very "medical model-y" practicioner and has never been very emotionally accessible, but has been so casual about having VBAC that I haven't really pushed for a lot of talk; I am a very anxious person in general and feel that moving along as if everything is totally normal is the right approach for me (and besides, isn't it totally "normal"?), although I have been educating myself so that I can advocate as needed during delivery.

Do you think I should be concerned that my OB hasn't really said much or acknowledged VBACs as exceptional, or that I haven't (besides reminders that I want a VBAC)? I have asked some basic questions and know some of the most common if--then scenarios, but otherwise, everyone's just moving right along, and I don't want to rock the boat. Does this leave me unprepared though, or put me in a situation where later I will feel like I should have been more "pushy"? WDYT?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: VBAC consents... previous post got me thinking

• I think it's a good sign that your OB is pro-VBAC and doesn't want to worry you unnecessarily.

I think only you know how much info you need/want to be comfortable with your choice.

The only things I'd definitely want to know are 

- what are the L&D procedures for VBAC patients (hers & the hospitals)

- what to expect if an emergency RCS is required (can I request an Epi/spinal etc.)

Outside of that it's a matter of preference of how much knowledge works for you. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would be more pushy, but that is just me. I felt taken advantage of with my c-section because I just blindly did what I was told. When doing the VBAC, I brought it up at every appointment. I always asked, so are we are still a go on the VBAC? Towards the end, I had him play out almost every scenerio so I knew what he would do. That way everything was out in the open and there would be no surprises during delivery. Plus, I liked to ask him questions I already knew the answer too.  I would have switched at any point if I felt like he was going to trick me in the end. Maybe I was a little crazy and paranoid about it though!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Abigail (6.2010) and Evelyn (9.2011)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"