Health & Exercise
Options

Pregnancy Safe Products?

Hello!  I'm not sure if this is the right board to post for this, so sorry in advance if it's not.  MH and I are going to start TTC in April- so I've had my doc appts and asked my OBGYN a bunch of questions.  I'm healthy and good to go.  Some of the questions I was asking her about were about the safety of skincare/body products- she wasn't concerned about that other than me going off my prescription acne meds.  I've read that I should be checking for parabens, SLS, and thousands of other "harmful ingredients".  I've also read that it doesn't matter because the relatively small surface area they're used on and that not even all of that gets absorbed.  What did you decide to do? Did you switch products- and if so to what?  Any other advice you can give me at this stage?  Thanks in advance!

Re: Pregnancy Safe Products?

• Options

I haven't changed any of my skin care products.  If you are really worried I would ask for a list of products pregnant women should not use.

Personally, I wouldn't change anything until you get pregnant unless you prefer otherwise.  It took us 3 years for DD and I am happy I chose to not change things 2 weeks out of the month (like no drinking after O), it kept me sane over the months & years.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I changed things after I got my BFP. I read somewhere that you weren't supposed to use products with salicylic acid. I normally used the St. Ives apricot scrub, but I switched to using either Cetaphil or Noxema. I also heard mixed things about acne creams, so I skipped every kind of those too.
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did change products while I was pregnant. I used Toms brand deodorant and toothpaste and Jason brand body wash and lotion. I started using Neutrogena naturals face wash and switched to a BPA free shower liner (can find online from Giam). I also limited any food item from a can and went organic as much as possible Those chemicals are endocrine disrupters and unfortunately are in so much of the things we use daily. I wasn't neurotic about it, just tried to limit where I could. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I didn't actually start making the switch until after DS was born.  I actually read an article last week about a study done in the UK on a bunch of women with breast cancer who had mastectomy's.  They took breast tissue samples and found parabens from deodorant in the tissues.  These preservatives mimic estrogen and could have contributed to the cancer.  For two months now, I have been using my own deodorant, made from coconut oil, baking soda and cornstarch.  It actually works better for me than any other deodorant I have ever used.

I use coconut oil as a moisturizer, and because it is naturally antibacterial/antifungal, it can help with acne. (I also use it on DS's occasional diaper rash, clears it up quickly without a bunch of unpronounceable ingredients.)

I've switched to Dr Bonners Castile soap as a body wash, and I use their baby wash on DS.

You can check products for safety on the cosmetics database (you can google it.)  I found a safer shampoo and conditioner there. 

Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"