March 2012 Moms

Depends vs pads for Postpartum?

So I've been reading about some women choosing to wear full on depends adult diapers to deal with their postpartum bleeding. It kind of sounded like an interesting idea at first, but then I thought to myself "where would I put the soiled depends"? Not into my regular garbage? Would I need to use the baby's diaper pail? Would I have to cart it all the way to the outside garbage every time? I also have to wonder if it would be uncomfortable.

On the other hand, I have to wonder if regular overnight pads will be enough to prevent accidents. I suppose a compromise could be pads during the day and depends at night.

Anyone have any experience with the depends option or any thoughts on what might be best?

BabyFetus Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Depends vs pads for Postpartum?

• I'm leaning towards the Depends, if my bleeding is as bad as I anticipate (I'm a FTM so I'm thinking worst-case scenario until I know differently.)

I hate pads, any brand I have ever used never quite stuck to my underwear and would end up bunching up and being really uncomfortable on my bum. 

My grandmother is 98, has Alzheimers and is incontinent (so even if she remembered to go to the bathroom, she probably wouldn't make it).  Because of this, I unfortunately have some experience with Depends.  They don't leak overnight, and if you have the right size, they don't bunch up.  When Nana needs a new one, we do put the old one in a plastic bag and it goes in the garage in a trash can, but if you have a diaper genie, I see no reason why it can't go in there, too.

You also don't have to worry about ruining underwear or having to pre-treat bloody undies before you put them in the wash. 

If you go with the pads, I suggest putting a towel under you at night and getting a mattress pad so you don't have to scrub your mattress if there's a leak or an especially heavy flow overnight.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I figure I'll be up with a newborn at least a few times for feeding so I will change the pad then. I'm used to heavy periods, though. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm curious to hear what others have to say. I'm a FTM and my doula (also a nurse at the hospital I'm delivering at) advises everyone to bring depends bc the panties that the hospital provide don't have a big enough crotch area to hold the pads. LOL
  • I used everything I got from the hospital until I ran out.  By that time I was able to go to a pad (a thin one).  I loved the mesh undies the hospital gave and found they worked great for the beginning.  I left with a bag and a half of undies, pads, ice packs, and big pads for your bed.  I slept on the big pads at night but didn't really need them b/c I never had a problem with leaking.  I still have some stuff left over.
  • My sis used depends for both of her girls when her bleeding was at its worst, and she highly recommended it. I will probably do the same, why not? It will take away the worry about leaking! If there is anything I can do to make life a little easier in the beginning, sign me up!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I am going to get some Depends (I guarantee that my husband will have a field day laughing at that) and also the Always Infinity overnights pads. I've head a lot of people recommend those.

Basically I just want to cover all my bases since I have no idea how bad this is going to be. :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagecaitlyn0216:
    I figure I'll be up with a newborn at least a few times for feeding so I will change the pad then. I'm used to heavy periods, though. 

This for me too.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• At the hospital they pump you full of fluids so if you have a catheter and they finally take it out your first pee will be a long one.  The first week of postpardum is pretty rough.  I peed on myself several times after both of my kids were born because I was so pumped full of fluids and the strain from pushing the baby out left me with little to no strength to hold in the pee when I had to go.  I would be laying in bed and have to pee but as soon as I would stand I'd lose all bladder control and pee all over myself.  Even with all of that, I was wearing pretty heavy pads so I didn't have any leakage on the bed or carpet, the pad held it in pretty well.  I don't think I'll be trying depends this time either.

• imagekmiller1012:
    I used everything I got from the hospital until I ran out.  By that time I was able to go to a pad (a thin one).  I loved the mesh undies the hospital gave and found they worked great for the beginning.  I left with a bag and a half of undies, pads, ice packs, and big pads for your bed.  I slept on the big pads at night but didn't really need them b/c I never had a problem with leaking.  I still have some stuff left over.

This exactly.  What the hospital provided (Sinai for any Baltimore Moms) was plenty for me until I transitioned to regular pads.  I won't use Depends this time either. 

• The hospital gives you some mega pads that last for the first day or two at home. Then regular pads are fine. You will be peeing a lot and if you're like me, you want something you can change often to feel clean. Plus you will have to use the squirt bottle for a few days so that helps keep things clean. Seriously, I think pads are fine. I had very heavy bleeding and was fine. You bleed the most while you're at the hospital and by the time you go home you should be good with pads imo.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemichellefreem:

imagekmiller1012:
    I used everything I got from the hospital until I ran out.  By that time I was able to go to a pad (a thin one).  I loved the mesh undies the hospital gave and found they worked great for the beginning.  I left with a bag and a half of undies, pads, ice packs, and big pads for your bed.  I slept on the big pads at night but didn't really need them b/c I never had a problem with leaking.  I still have some stuff left over.

This exactly.  What the hospital provided (Sinai for any Baltimore Moms) was plenty for me until I transitioned to regular pads.  I won't use Depends this time either. 

Ditto.  Keep in mind that although you might bleed for up to 6 weeks, it isn't heavy after the first several days.  I think by Day 3/4 it had lightened up to the point that a regular pad was more than enough.  Everyone is different, and I'd say it's easier to send DH to the store to get something you need rather than buy something you'll never use.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Last time, I just used overnight pads and I was fine.  I did have to buy larger (granny style) underwear though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just used the Always Infinity overnights for DS and was fine. You are up so much during the night, you can change them to your heart's content. I never found the bleeding was more than an overnight pad could handle with normal changing.
    DS 04.25.08 DS 03.14.12 missed m/c 9w1d :: 6.18.10 :: d&c | missed m/c 9w3d :: 11.2.10 :: d&c
  • imagekmiller1012:

This. They give you those mega giant pads to use at the hospital and, while pretty uncomfortable, they were a lifesaver! The mesh panties are also great for the first few days- a week. After the first week, I think the normal overnight (or even regular) pads will be sufficient.

• imagemrs.gee:
    I just used the Always Infinity overnights for DS and was fine. You are up so much during the night, you can change them to your heart's content. I never found the bleeding was more than an overnight pad could handle with normal changing.

I used the same thing and didn't have any problems.  I think I may have slept on some of the leftover chucks pads from the hospital the first few nights because I was afraid of leaks.  (btw, if you don't get to bring any chucks home or run out and want more, puppy pee pads are basically the same thing.)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • After the first day my bleeding became like heavy to normal period bleeding (and some times it would get heavy when I was BF), I used the always infinity overnights at first and then eventually stepped down to regular pads by about 3 to 4 weeks in.  I think i stop bleeding around 3.5 weeks, it may have been less I can't quite recall though. 
  • imagemichellefreem:

Who is your doc? That's where I delivered my DD and where I'll be delivering DS as well.  

• I'll be 42 soon.. and much as I hate pads... the thought of depends just makes me feel OLDER than dirt.  Even tho hubby would be really cool about all this "stuff" and I know he wouldn't give me a hard time.. I think one of us in diapers is enough for a first time daddy lol. 

He will have plenty of time to worry about changing my diapers soon enough ..one of the joys of younger guys marrying an old chick lol ..but at least he will have had some practise before he starts on me haha
  • I'm thinking of going the Depends route. I don't want to ruin my underwear/clothes/bedding if the flow is too heavy for overnight pads. I'm hoping they might last longer too than a pad usually would.

You can put the soiled depends where you would put a pad.. right in the trash. I'm not really sure why that was mentioned/is seen as an issue?

TTC since November 2010
    BFP: March 22, 2011 M/C: April 8, 2011 @ 7 weeks
    BFP: June 29, 2011!!! Crossing my fingers for a sticky baby :)
    LO Born early March 2012 We are so blessed image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"