Military Families
Options

Passport for baby

Hi Everyone!

We'll be PCSing to Ramstein when I'm about 21 weeks along, and then coming back for my sister's wedding when the baby is only about 6-7 weeks old. Has anyone had experience getting a passport for a newborn? I know it will need to be a no fee passport so it has a visa in it, but I wondered how long I could expect that to take. Thanks for any suggestions you have!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Passport for baby

• Options
    imageKatie0450:

Hi Everyone!

We'll be PCSing to Ramstein when I'm about 21 weeks along, and then coming back for my sister's wedding when the baby is only about 6-7 weeks old. Has anyone had experience getting a passport for a newborn? I know it will need to be a no fee passport so it has a visa in it, but I wondered how long I could expect that to take. Thanks for any suggestions you have!!

It could be tight. No fee passports take a while because they do a background check and obviously a newborn has no background to check so it will go a little faster but the paperwork can still take several weeks. I'd be sure to buy insurance on your plane tickets and tell your sister there's a chance you may not make it.

Keep in mind that you have to have the birth certificate and the social security number before you can apply for the passport. It took us 8 weeks to even get DS's social security card. His passport took another 2 monts.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

You could probably get a travel passport done at one of the U.S. Embassies in Germany to save time (maybe the no fee one too?).  I'm pretty sure that you can get a newborn passport without a SSN (I did a lot of research on this a little over a year ago, but when in doubt, check with the State Dept).  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageNavyPilotWife:

You could probably get a travel passport done at one of the U.S. Embassies in Germany to save time (maybe the no fee one too?).  I'm pretty sure that you can get a newborn passport without a SSN (I did a lot of research on this a little over a year ago, but when in doubt, check with the State Dept).  Good luck!

You can't. I tried 10 months ago when I was getting DS's.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If baby is born overseas then you are going to need to first get a CRBA - certificate of birth abroad. This requires a birth certificate and the parents information. These used to be issued at post by individual embassies but no longer. I think your best bet is to contact American Citizen Services in the consular section at the closest embassy or consulate.
    Soon to be Big Sister Eowyn - DOB February 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
     BabyFruit Ticker

My family is a Foreign Service family. Families like mine are posted in every corner of the globe. We live our lives away from family, friends and the conviences and comforts of home. We often live and work in dangerous places among those that misunderstand our intentions and purposes. Sometimes members of our ranks sacrifice our lives to further diplomacy.  Please remember that we serve too. And I'm always open to questions.

• Options
    imagemeltoine:
    imageNavyPilotWife:

You can't. I tried 10 months ago when I was getting DS's.  

Actually, if you are overseas, you can.  DS has his travel and no fee passport and he still doesn't have his SSN yet.

I doubt you will be able to get the passport in time.  DS's took about 10 weeks.  If you give birth at a German hospital, then this is what you have to do.  First, you need to get a copy if the German birth certificate, which can take 10-12 days.  Then you take that birth certificate along with the passport paperwork to get a Report of Birth Abroad and the passports.  If you give birth at a MTF, you will get a US birth certificate, I think.  

Try calling the State Dept and ask if there are ways to expedite it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I had my newborn's passport done before we PCS'd to Sicily.  I went to walmart and got the photo done and then took it to the base and they did all the passport and visa processing.  It was a no fee passport.  It took about 3 days b/c they put a rush on it.  It was not a hard process at all. 
  • Options
    Wow, looks like I need to get all my paperwork in order so that THE DAY he/she is born I can get the paperwork in process. Thanks for all the responses!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It may take a while. I think you have to wait for the birth certificate and social to come in before you apply for the no fee. But you may have more luck if you get a regular passport and pay for it. It may get there faster. I know that here they have a class you take to inform you on everything you need to know about passports and visas and everything for the baby when you are overseas. I am sure they will mention it at you OB appts.
  • Options

You would be very surprised but it truly isn't that difficult. My husband and I are currently stationed in Vilseck, Germany and I did give birth to my son in 2010.The 1st processes that you will go through is to obtain the birth abroad certificate, these are obtained at the Rathaus in the city you gave birth in, at this time you will have the option of registering your LO as a German citizen. Once you have the BAC you will take this and all tricare paperwork to the passport offices on RAB. You will be given the option to obtain a NF passport as well as a civilian passport. Everything is sent off in one packet to the US Embassay in Germany. I did both for my son because without official travel orders you are unable to use your NF passport on commercial flights unless you chose to fly space-A back to the States. Not to mention you do need your civilian passport for all military trips arranged through Outdoor Recreation Facilities.

Once you have babies passport you can fill out all the paperwork to send off for their official social security card. I did travel back to the States while DH was deployed and just waited until I arrived home to fill out for my son's. Going through the Social Security Administration in the States was a bit easier for me.

I do hope this helps you though. Make sure to ask your patient liasion all of the necessary questions you may have in case the procedure does differ from Air Force to Army!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"