Breastfeeding
Options

Breastfeeding hives?

I got hives when I BF'd my first LO, but my supply wasn't great so they were manageable.  Now that my supply is great with LO#2, the hives are out of control.  I am completely covered, an itchy mess, I even have them on my eyelids.  I know they are caused by an allergic reaction to oxytocin during letdown, and I've read that some women have to go to the ER and get epi-pens, I hope mine don't get that bad!  I'm also really scared to take antihistamines because I know they dry up your milk, so I'm just covering myself with Sarna lotion, which barely helps.  I had PUPPPS during both of my pregnancies, so itching seems to be a way of life for me for the past couple of years. 

Anyone else get hives during BFing?  Did yours eventually get better or go away with time?  What did you do to make it bearable?

Re: Breastfeeding hives?

• Options
    This is very interesting as I have never heard of this but I could totally see how it would work with all the hormones and stuff releasing in your body. Sorry I have no advice but hopefully when your milk levels out, they will get better!!
  • Options
    I want to share my hives story in case it can help someone.  I got hives 2 weeks after my baby girl was born (Nov 2011).  The stretchmarks on my lower belly were very itchy.  Then I noticed a few bumps near my belly button. Then they spread to my arms and legs.  They were horribly itchy.  I did some research on the internet and found many different remedies.  I decided to try some natural remedies: pine tar soap, dandelion root capsules, and nettle tea.  I bought them all at a health food store.  What I think really helped was the pine tar soap.  I sat on the edge of the bathtub and rubbed the soap onto a washcloth.  Then I scrubbed the hives on my legs and arms with the cloth.  It felt so------ good to itch.  I scrubbed for about 20 minutes and then rinsed with cool water.  After I did this scrubbing the hives seemed to be inactive.  The soap dried them up.  I used the soap a few times in a 24 hours period.  I found myself scrubbing during the middle of the night.  In addition to using the soap I tried to keep my skin cool - I found that heat stimulated the hives.  I wore t-shirts and shorts even though it was November.  I was so thankful that I only had the hives for one week.  I think the soap was the key to getting rid of them.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"