South Florida Babies
Options

How often does/did your DC nurse at 2-3 months?

Olivia has been very fussy at the breast since her shots last Monday. I thought maybe her leg was hurting at the injection site but now I am rethinking things. I think my milk supply diminished some since her frequency in nursing changed. She used to eat every 3 hours but a couple weeks ago she lengthened the time between nursings to 4, sometmes 5 hours. I've been told not to wake her when she is sleeping to eat, that she'll wake on her own. Her weight gain is extremely good, last month she gained 3.25 oz per week.

Any way, to test my theory about a diminishing supply I pumped after she ate this morning and got an ounce out of each breast. Then she nursed 2.5 hours later. 2.5 hours after that feeding I pumped and only got a total of 3.25 ounces. I haven't pumped in quite some time (6 weeks) but when I did I was averaging a toal of 5 ounces every two hours. Also, her bowel movements when down to only 2 a day, which I hear is normal.

So, how often did your DC nurse at 2-3 months? Did anyone else notice a decrease in milk supply? If so, any idea why? Thanks, mommies!

Re: How often does/did your DC nurse at 2-3 months?

• Options

I should also mention, my theory behind the diminished supply is that I used to change my nursing pads several times a day because they were loaded in between feedings. The last day or so, not so much. I'm worried.

Oh, and how long did your DC nap between feedings?

• Options

First of all, I wouldn't go by the breast pads.  It's normal for your body to adjust and no longer soak the pads.  It's also common for your body to pump out less than it would give the baby on demand.  I've heard estimates that the breast gives only 1/3 to 1/2 of what the baby gets when pumping.  Not sure of that (and I have no references right now),but just so you know that that's normal, too.

As for Cedric's feeding schedule at 2-3 months, let me try to remember.  I think it was somewhere around every 3-4 hours, depending on the day, and between 6-8 hours at night.  He slept between every feeding still, so 3-4 naps per day?  I think?   Sorry, but it's been so long that it's fuzzy now.

If DC is still pooping daily and has wet diapers, it sounds good.  I do remember having concerns about supply, but they turned out to be only my anxiety.  Not that you are not right to be concerned, but just know that it's normal to be anxious, too.

Hope that's somewhat helpful!

Tania

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    hey there...Chelsea is a little over two months now and I feel that my milk supply is decreasing as well.  I do my best to pump every 3-4 hours at work but sometimes it turns out to be more life five hours.  After work hours and on the weekends she will nurse every 3 hours and sleeps 5-6 hours at night.  I try to sneak in a pumping session early in the morning on the weekends to try to rebuild from the work week.  But yes - your body does adjust at the two month mark and produces on demand.  I hope that I can maintain my milk supply until she is at least six months...but we will see.  She also has only 1 dirty diaper a day and several wet ones.  I guess - I share your concern as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"