Natural Birth

The Bradley Method...

My husband and I are first time parents and are very excited ;-) We have heard wonderful things about the Bradley Method. We start the 12 week class at the end of February. Are any of you ladies familiar with this method? Did you like it?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: The Bradley Method...

• We took the Bradley classes with our first and found it to be very helpful for preparing us for a natural birth.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We just finished up our Bradley classes and loved them!  Before taking the classes I didn't think Hubby would be a good support person/coach but now I'm confident that he'll be able to help me through my labor and delivery.  I knew I'd never get him to read a book or watch a movie but by taking classes he had to be involved.  He ended up contribuing the most out of all the dads in the class, and even though he never read the workbook he retained a ton of info. 

What I really liked about the classes is that it focuses on relaxation and thinking about the pain as being pain with a purpose.  It helps you realize that the pain of childbirth isn't something to fear and that as the pain increases so does your body's ability to deal with it.  It also teaches the dad/coach to advocate for the mom and to make sure that her wishes are met when she's unable to speak for herself.

I'm really looking forward to our upcoming birth and to see how well Hubby and I work as a team to bring our LO into the world.

• Loading the player...
  • imagetheladyjess:

We just finished up our Bradley classes and loved them!  Before taking the classes I didn't think Hubby would be a good support person/coach but now I'm confident that he'll be able to help me through my labor and delivery.  I knew I'd never get him to read a book or watch a movie but by taking classes he had to be involved.  He ended up contribuing the most out of all the dads in the class, and even though he never read the workbook he retained a ton of info. 

What I really liked about the classes is that it focuses on relaxation and thinking about the pain as being pain with a purpose.  It helps you realize that the pain of childbirth isn't something to fear and that as the pain increases so does your body's ability to deal with it.  It also teaches the dad/coach to advocate for the mom and to make sure that her wishes are met when she's unable to speak for herself.

I'm really looking forward to our upcoming birth and to see how well Hubby and I work as a team to bring our LO into the world.

This is wonderful to hear! Thank you! I wish you nothing but calmness and joy during your delivery. Let us now how it goes! I am sure you both with do great!! :-) Thank you again for the reply 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We loved our Bradley classes and definitely feel they prepared us for our awesome birth experience :)  GL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We took it.  It was really helpful in our natural home birth delivery.  DH was so supportive and really helped me relax during the whole labor.  It was definitely worth it.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We took them and loved them. DH has even said he would like to do the 12 week course again if we have another one, b/c he liked how prepared it made us feel.

The actual birth experience wasn't exactly like we imagined it would be, but we definitely felt like we knew what was going on and knew how to manage. For example, we thought he would need to massage my back during labor, but b/c of intense back labor with a posterior baby, I didn't want him touching me at all during the pushing stage (which was much longer and more painful than I imagined - 2 hours!)

Instead, he was absolutely vital during transition when I was in a tub and he poured warm water over my belly in between contractions - not something we had discussed in class, but it worked! Also, during pushing he held one of my legs (which was much harder work than he imagined, b/c I was pushing against him) and kept encouraging me which was so important!

It definitely taught both of us a lot, but was particularly good for DH learning how to be an active participant. He was definitely a lot more active than he ever imagined and he is very proud of his role.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I highly recommend the Bradley Method! I believe it really prepared my husband and I for our 2 natural (spontaneous & unmedicated hospital births). Not only did the classes prepare us for labor and delivery, but the experience we shared with the other families we met in the class was great. We all continued to meet up after our babies were born to support each other :-) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"