Maryland Babies

1st bday party

DD 1st bday is in 2 weeks. We were just going to do a casual, more adult affair with hot and cold appetizers, cake and desserts. Obviously, DD will have her own cake.  MIL, SFIL, possibly FIL&SMIL & my mom are driving down from Pittsburgh for the event. We don't have a theme or cute decor or anything like that. Now I am thinking that I am not doing enough. (DH is oot all week, so I have decided to stress and freak out about things.) This is ok, right? What did you do for LO's 1st b-day (or are you going to do if LO is not 1 yet)?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: 1st bday party

• I think it's perfectly fine! You're having people over, having cake, and celebrating. I know some people go all out, but I don't think it's necessary. And honestly, your LO won't even remember.

That being said, I am planning to have a theme and cute decor and all that crap just because I want to! It'll still be a small party though, and nothing super fancy.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • yes - this is totally fine.

We had "themed" plates and napkins but it wasn't anything really special - just "Garden Girl/1st Birthday" stuff from Party City.

Don't let the Bump/FB drive you crazy.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • The thought of a theme fills me with dread, or rather I have a sort of food theme and a decor theme, but they don't really mesh - Jungle tex-mex - lol.
  • imageKathrynMD:

yes - this is totally fine.

We had "themed" plates and napkins but it wasn't anything really special - just "Garden Girl/1st Birthday" stuff from Party City.

Don't let the Bump/FB drive you crazy.

Thanks, Kathryn

• Once you start going to kids parties IRL, you'll see how half-assed alot of them are - and the kids could not care less.  Other moms may be impressed/compare notes about it for a few minutes, but really its NBD not to do it. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Yes! This is totally ok. It sounds fantastic, in fact.

And the less stressed out momma is, the more fun it is for everyone!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You can do it any way you want. She won't remember her 1st birthday party, only through pictures. I think what your doing is completely fine.

For DD we did a funky girl monkey theme. I got most of the decorations from party city and I did go a little over board on the cake topper/cupcake toppers from Etsy. 

• Thanks for all of the reassurances, ladies. I want to celebrate, but I am totally stressed out about other things that are going on. I don't mind going all out when she's older, but I'd like to save my energy until then Big Smile
  • We didn't even have a 2nd birthday party for my son if that makes you feel any better!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD1's first b-day was the week before Easter so I did a bunny theme and then I could use all my Easter decorations.  Embarrassed

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Totally fine!  There's no rules saying you have to go all out or do themes or anything for the 1st b-day.  I think what you're planning is perfectly fine!

For D's 1st, we did a monkey theme but that was only because he had so many toy monkeys that we decorated the house with them.  I created & printed the invitations myself & the rest of the decor (plates, napkins, table cloths) were just plain colors (blue, yellow & brown).  Really, nothing super fancy at all.

Dylan Gabriel 04/29/10 Aiden Drake 04/28/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"