Maryland Babies
Options

JHU Doulas?

Anyone had experience with the free doula porogram at hopkins?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: JHU Doulas?

• Options
    I used it with my first.  It ended up being a c/s but it was still a great process and the "birth coach" was there for the c/s, which she thought was a good experience for her too.
  • Options
    I signed up for it and was told that my doula would call me to set up a meeting before the birth but I had DD almost 3 weeks early and I hadn't been called yet.  I definitely think you should be proactive if you haven't heard from them a few weeks before!  The girl called me about a week before my due date and was really disappointed that she (and I) missed out!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have personal experience but a good friend of mine had a baby at JH Bayview in October and used a doula - she had a great experience.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I called them about 2-3 months before my due date and I got a call back about a month before LO's arrival.  I was assigned 2 doulas (both were JHU nursing students a few months away from graduation).  I wound up having a scheduled c-section b/c DS was breech, but I still wanted them to be there.  I had a really good experience and felt very relaxed with them around.  I even handed one of them my camera and she shot lots of awesome pictures and captured many priceless moments. 

• Options

I am actually the friend that Megcheer is referring to and had my son at JHU Bayview in October. I knew I wanted to do it natural so I signed up for

I am actually the friend that Megcheer is referring to and had my son at JHU Bayview in October. I knew I wanted to do it natural so I signed up for the doula program. You do have to be proactive to make sure you get assigned a doula, I just kept calling being very polite but saying I really wanted to be assigned to someone, but my experience was great. I had 2 both of whom I met before I delivered at a place convenient to me and when I went 10 days past my due date they were even calling to check in on me. The both came to the hospital the day I delivered in shifts as they had classes. With their help (and of course my wonderful husband, doctor, and my knowledge of childbirth) I gave birth without an epidural and it was a WONDERFUL experience. They did massage, stayed with my while my husband took a short break to get something to eat, provided encouragement, took pictures (after Matthew was born of course LOL), and were just helpful so both my husband and I felt less alone. I highly recommend the doula program. Also my husband and I took a private class with Anne Israel (you can google her to find out about her services) as she teaches you techniques to cope with labor plus a lot of good knowledge which I think makes the whole process easier. Happy to answer any other questions!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Awful!  I signed up months in advance.  Meet with the doula and her backup and when my due date came, my "main" doula was in CA on vacation and her backup didn't answer our texts.  The supervisor didn't respond either.  We eventually texted the doula in CA and she was able to get a hold of the back-up doula who told us that she wouldn't be able to come until 7 in the evening and it was 10 am or so.  Then she called the birth center and asked if she should come and I said no b/c at this point I was already pushing.  She came anyway!!!!  (I will say that b/c she was there we did get some great pictures/video we wouldn't have had otherwise and I did get a great neck massage, but I didn't have any trust or rapport w/her when it came to her suggestions to change positions, etc.).  You get what you pay for...this time we will be hiring a doula.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"