March 2012 Moms
Options

Are you toughening up your nipples?!?!

So my SIL just asked me in an emaill had I started working on hardening/toughening my nipples......HUH!?!?!Indifferent

What is this and should I be?!  I know breastfeeding can be difficult, but I never thought I needed to do some "work" or "prepare" my nipples beforehand...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Are you toughening up your nipples?!?!

• Options
    I was actually reading something about this recently!  They make these suction cups you put on your nipples and leave on for a period of time to get them used to the suction - supposedly gets them ready for BFing.   Not sure if that's what she meant... there are probably tons of different methods
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    photo calforsiggy_zps05750af4.png
  • Options
    Your SIL emailed you this?  That's something my mom would tell me to do.  It's very outdated information. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto PP - it's old school advice.
  • Options
    My mom told me this too, I laughed at her and told her thats not good advice and its totally outdated. Your nipples are fine just the way they are.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Umm... the thought of making my nipples hurt now just to endure BFing makes me cringe. That advice has long been thrown out the window as useless and torturous.

Not to mention that nipple stimulation is sometimes seen as a way to start labor, so if you're one of those ladies who likes a little biting during sex, this may not be a good way to keep baby baking as long as (s)he can.

• Options

No and you should NOT do this.

Also, BF shouldnt hurt that much if the baby is latching on properly from what I have read.

Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!
  • Options
    What? I'm not supposed to do this?? Well shiit. ::takes clothes pins off nipples::
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Yep. I use 80 grit sandpaper on them every night for about an hour at a time.

Also I'm obviously kidding. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imagedanlexi04:
    What? I'm not supposed to do this?? Well shiit. ::takes clothes pins off nipples::

Lol!!! This cracks me up!

"Gravity can not be held accountable for two people falling in love". -Albert Einstein BabyFetus Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

danlexi and Salt, thanks for the laughs, lol!!!

Yup, my SIL seriously asked me this.  She is a lot older than my DH.....her kid is about to be 21 so that does help me understand where the outdated advice came from.

• Options
    Does it count if my bra is already doing it for me? I was on my way to the grocery store from medication aide classes and I swore my nipples were getting pierced! *They have been pierced since age 18, but I don't need to relive that while pregnant!)
  • Options

imagelhammerle:
    I was actually reading something about this recently!  They make these suction cups you put on your nipples and leave on for a period of time to get them used to the suction - supposedly gets them ready for BFing.   Not sure if that's what she meant... there are probably tons of different methods

If these are the things I'm thinking of, aren't they to help if you have inverted nipples?

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

• Options

My grandma asked me abt this, but after extensive research with my first, I gave her a resounding NO. Aside from the potentially triggering labor thing, the baby puts the whole areola in their mouth, not the nipple, so it wouldn't help.

If you feel you must do something, consider using lanolin for a week or so before your due date, just as a moisturizer.

• Options
    imagejenmae3:

If you feel you must do something, consider using lanolin for a week or so before your due date, just as a moisturizer.

I've used it a few times already. When it first got cold, I got the worst pain and my sister (a nurse) suggested using that to moisturize. I've either gotten used to it, or it's stopped because I haven't noticed it in a couple months. 

• Options
    imageMattel:

imagelhammerle:
    I was actually reading something about this recently!  They make these suction cups you put on your nipples and leave on for a period of time to get them used to the suction - supposedly gets them ready for BFing. Not sure if that's what she meant... there are probably tons of different methods

If these are the things I'm thinking of, aren't they to help if you have inverted nipples?

Maybe. I know there are methods to help inverted nipples, but you don't need to do anything until after LO arrives. I would not use that as a method to 'toughen' your nipples.

• Options
    Haha! My sister and mom told me I should start toughening up my nipples, but I'm not. For one, every time I pinch my nipples I leak everywhere and cause a mess, so it's just not worth it. That and I know it has potential to trigger labor. I know that breastfeeding is going to hurt for a little bit at first whether I toughen up my nipples or not, so I'm not going to worry about it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Uh heck no. Baby's first week or so will toughen them up plenty.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    imageFergie+1:
    imageMattel:

imagelhammerle:
    I was actually reading something about this recently!  They make these suction cups you put on your nipples and leave on for a period of time to get them used to the suction - supposedly gets them ready for BFing. Not sure if that's what she meant... there are probably tons of different methods

Maybe. I know there are methods to help inverted nipples, but you don't need to do anything until after LO arrives. I would not use that as a method to 'toughen' your nipples.

These are definitely intended for inverted nipples and are meant to be worn beginning no earlier than 36 weeks.  I have just been chatting with my OB and two LC's this week about them since I have two inverted nips.  Seems like they may or may not work depending on the person, and they are definitely not intended for any sort of toughening purpose.   

• Options
    imageFergie+1:
    imageMattel:

imagelhammerle:

Yea maybe that's what it was for!  I guess I really wasn't even sure what toughening nipples even meant

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    photo calforsiggy_zps05750af4.png
  • Options

imagenonasimonsen:
    Nope and that is 'so 20+ years ago' thing to do.

this.

dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageLesleyjking:

No and you should NOT do this.

Also, BF shouldnt hurt that much if the baby is latching on properly from what I have read.

Days 3-7 were extremely painful for me last time. He had a great latch but there is a period where it can (and probably will be painful). The LC at the hospital warned me and told me things to watch for to make sure his latch was still good. I wish someone would do this for everyone because even with the warning and reassurance, I was still sure it could not possibly be right.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagenonasimonsen:

HA HA...Actually so 15 yr's ago... That's what is was told to do w/my DD.  It actually does help; if you a first time Mom & have tender nips!! LMBO!!!

My best friend's Mom told me about it; you just use a wet rag while in the shower/tub & gently rub/turn your nips. I did find it wasn't to bad when she latched on the 1st time; but the lactation classes/nurses will teach you the right way to latch so you may have no problems.  It's doesn't hurt to try it!! :-)

• Options
    imagenonasimonsen:
    this!

2004- DX with PCOS

6/2011- Gonal-F + Ganirelix + Oviderl and Crinone= BFP

7/7/2011 Beta #1 119 Beta #2 563 Beta#3 4178

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

http://tinypic.com/r/25z7709/8

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"