Military Families

Newborn + Nightshift + Deployment!?!?!?!

So, I'm 37 weeks pregnant.  I work 12 hour shifts as an ICU nurse.  I just found out today that my boss lied to me.  He told me not to worry about switching to day shift that I would definitely be on day shift when I return to work from Maternity leave.  Today I found out that is not the case.  He has me signed up for night shift. 

My hubby is deploying about 2 weeks after when I will potentially be going back to work.  Our closest family members are 14 hours away, there are not any 24 hour daycares in the area, the hospital I work for does not offer child care, and I don't feel right asking friends (most of which have never had a kid) to watch our NEWBORN over night 3 nights a week!  Suggestions??????

Re: Newborn + Nightshift + Deployment!?!?!?!

• Have you looked at the CDC (base daycare)?  The one where I am is overnight because it caters to single servicemembers with children who might need childcare overnight due to their military job.  Maybe look into that?

Have you talked to your boss about the deployment?  I would sit down and have a meeting and lay out your concerns.  Maybe he will surprise you and try to help you. 

At the end of the day, if you don't have any options you might be looking at trying to find a new job or staying home while your DH is deployed.  I know that is a last resort, but life sometimes just makes things really tough.  I agree that you really can't ask a friend to watch you baby overnight unless you know someone that wants to make some extra money and doesn't mind losing some sleep :).

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• I'm an ER Nurse and I went through kind of the same thing last year only I wanted to go from FT to PT, but they had to "create" a position in order for me to do that. I literally called everyday while I was on ML and finally told them I would have to look for another job if they could not work with me. I knew pretty wuickly after that I would be able to come back PT. You have to figure out what exactly is going to work for you and I would demand it. If youre working in an ICU then they have obviously invested a lot of training and money in you to keep up your credentials. It is VERY expensive to train someone else and put them through all the specialized classes. With that being said you would be highly valuable somewhere else. I would play that card - just ask with a good attitude. If that doesn't work out I would look into military FMLA- with your husbands orders you can take up to 12 weeks to either not work or work the hours you can (at their discretion) without losing your job. GL I know how frustrating it is :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • Loading the player...
  • Contact your FRG--- usually there is a program on base called FCC which is utilized in situations such as yours.  It is an individual daycare provider (in their home) and they set their own hours.  They are CPR certified and take classes in childcare.  If they are available for newborns they also are required to take the infant CPR classes.  Alot are spouses--- and if someone has a spouse on nightshift at base and is an FCC provider it might work out perfectly for you.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLinz-E:
    I'm an ER Nurse and I went through kind of the same thing last year only I wanted to go from FT to PT, but they had to "create" a position in order for me to do that. I literally called everyday while I was on ML and finally told them I would have to look for another job if they could not work with me. I knew pretty wuickly after that I would be able to come back PT. You have to figure out what exactly is going to work for you and I would demand it. If youre working in an ICU then they have obviously invested a lot of training and money in you to keep up your credentials. It is VERY expensive to train someone else and put them through all the specialized classes. With that being said you would be highly valuable somewhere else. I would play that card - just ask with a good attitude. If that doesn't work out I would look into military FMLA- with your husbands orders you can take up to 12 weeks to either not work or work the hours you can (at their discretion) without losing your job. GL I know how frustrating it is :)

What she said!!!! I hate when bosses do that.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It may be more expensive, but you could hire a night nanny. People typically use them while they are home to get some sleep, but it could be perfect for your situation. I would actually prefer a set up like that since your LO will be in your own home & you don't have to worry about picking up & dropping off.
  • imageLace&Josh:
    It may be more expensive, but you could hire a night nanny. People typically use them while they are home to get some sleep, but it could be perfect for your situation. I would actually prefer a set up like that since your LO will be in your own home & you don't have to worry about picking up & dropping off.

That's actually a great idea. I did that for 4 years through college and it was great for everyone. She was a single mom that worked night shift.  

• This goes beyond just needing daycare services at night. The baby is going to be awake during the day when the OP is needing to sleep. I was a shift RN prior to becoming a SAHM, so I get the whole scheduling thing. Honestly OP, I would start looking for another job and talk to your boss about the issue.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Even if the CDC doesn't have overnight services they should have a list of CDH providers (child development home) who have all of the certifications the CDC has but it's in someone's home. Many of them offer drop in care and/or overnight spots.
  • imageGreenFlamingo7:

This goes beyond just needing daycare services at night. The baby is going to be awake during the day when the OP is needing to sleep. I was a shift RN prior to becoming a SAHM, so I get the whole scheduling thing. Honestly OP, I would start looking for another job and talk to your boss about the issue.

That's a good point too.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"