Baby Names
Options

Halen?

My husband and I have been exploring ways to honor his grandparents (Helen and Daniel).  What do you think of Halen Daniel for a boy?  Honest, but respectful thoughts are appreciated.  :) Note: We are only in the brainstorming stage right now...other suggestions are great too! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Halen?

• Options
    I would automatically assume you guys were Van Halen fans. Nms.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options

It would make me think you're big Van Halen fans.  I guess it would be ok as an MN, but I don't care for it as a FN. 

Perhaps you can use other H and D names (ie Harrison David, Davis Henry, etc.) to honor them instead?

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    not a fan..why not name her Helen? or use G-ma Helen's MN?
  • Options
    imageMoneypenny424:

It would make me think you're big Van Halen fans.  I guess it would be ok as an MN, but I don't care for it as a FN. 

Perhaps you can use other H and D names (ie Harrison David, Davis Henry, etc.) to honor them instead?

I agree, and like this suggestion.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Helen and Daniel are terrific names. Halen is trying too hard. Use their names as first or middle names but don't do a smoosh name.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options

no, I dont like it. Maybe a MN if you were Van Halen fans, but I cant see how it honors his gpa if you are just using the a from Daniel. I would go with using Helen for a girl--MN or FN, and Daniel for a boy MN or FN. 

• Options

First of all it looks like a girls name to me.  Secondly, I agree that it looks like you're huge Van Halen fans.  I don't see how those names together make Halen unless you're simply using the letters.  Daniel Halen would be ok, but then you would have a Dan Halen?  Yeah, I don't know.  Are they his maternal or paternal grandparents?  You could use their last name as a mn if it's different from yours. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I suggest Daniel as a first name and use Grandma's maiden name for the middle name.  If Grandma had a maiden name you really like, you could use that as a first name and Daniel as the middle name.

Halen sounds like a tribute to the band, it doesn't sound like a tribute to Grandma at all.

• Options
    I had a student (male) in my class last year named Haylen.  It seems trendy to me, but I don't think it's awful.  I would pronounce Halen like Hah-Len instead of Hay-Len.  Even though I know of the group Van Halen.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    I would look to use Helen's maiden name or her father's name.  My grandmother's maiden name is Harrison and we considered using Harris.  Save the name Helen for a possible future daughter, it is a great girl's name.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options

Well, I don't think Halen is completely terrible, although I wouldn't be sure how to set it. Is it like Alan with an 'H' or Halen, as in Van Halen?

If it were me, I'd split them up and honor his G-ma if you have a girl with Helen and his G-pa with Daniel if it's a boy. OR...if it's a boy, you could still use Daniel (not sure which MN) and if it's a girl, you could name her Danielle Helen?

~Amanda
    Mom to Lily Gayle 4.25.06 Charlotte Kathleen 3.27.09 Samuel Thomas ~8.4.12~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think Halen would be a great name, if not for the band.  What about another H fn?  Also, I like PP's suggestion of Holden.

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

"Halen" is how people in my area pronounce "hailing." As in, look out, it's halen outside. Also,since many girls names end in the -lyn sound. if I heard it on a a playground, I would think it was a girl's name spelled "Hailyn" like Brooklyn or Kailyn. 

Why not just honor Daniel with this baby and use Helen down the road if you have a girl?

• Options
    not good. sorry.
  • Options

imagePhilsWife07:
    Helen and Daniel are terrific names. Halen is trying too hard. Use their names as first or middle names but don't do a smoosh name.

Ditto.  Halen is kind of awful.  And it sounds feminine. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Van Halen.

I love Helen and Daniel.  What about Helena for a girl, if you don't want to use Helen?

• Options
    It reminds me of Van Halen or "it's halen (hailing) outside" or "I was halen (hailing) a taxi.
  • Options

I originally read this name as Helen.

I would just use Daniel. Its a million times better than Halen, IMO.

TTCAL PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    I kinda like it, but its kinda strange at the same time. Would you pronounce it like Allen with an H in the front? nn could be Hal.
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • Options

This conversation would happen approximately 3000 times during your child's life:

person 1: "This is/My name is Halen"

person 2: "Oh, as in Van Halen?"

Pregnancy Ticker  
  • Options
    For some reason I am finding this thread hysterical today, seriously! Lots of funny, but respectful replies. I'm dying over "it's halen outside." Thanks for the laughs :)
  • Options
    imageKearaD:
    imageMoneypenny424:

I agree, and like this suggestion.  

I'm with these pps.

• Options

imagestahlop:
    I had a student (male) in my class last year named Haylen.  It seems trendy to me, but I don't think it's awful.  I would pronounce Halen like Hah-Len instead of Hay-Len.  Even though I know of the group Van Halen.

This is the first thing I thought of as well.

I don't mind it.

If you have a girl, what about Helena Danielle?

Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"