Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Enfamil AR

My daughter is 6 weeks old and the only thing that she doesn't spit up is Enfamil AR.  The other formulas we have tried do cause lots and lots of spit up. To avoid constipation we are giving her 2 ounces regular newborn formula and 1oz  of the AR.  It seems like a perfect combination for our daughter.  After looking online I see that this works for other babies and the mixture does not cause constipation like full AR would. 

We visited the doctor today and he said not to use the AR because of empty calories that rice provides. However, when I look on Enfamil's website it is rice starch that makes the formula thicker and the correct calories and nutrition for the baby.  There is even a chart showing it is not like adding rice.  Also, does AR stand for added rice or acid reflux?  His suggestion today was Nutramigen and the formula was so light she spit it ALL up.

Is anyone else using AR and have any insight?  

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Enfamil AR

• Options
    I am pretty sure that AR stands for added rice. We were just told to put our daughter on this because she has acid reflux and a possible milk allergy but not we are dealing with constipation. Doctor told me to out 1 tsp for every ounce in her bottles twice a day. So far this has done nothing but your suggestion of half newborn and half ar is something I might try! The Nutramigen formula is our next option but is so expensive that I would rather buy two kinds of enfamil! Good luck with your tiny one :)
  • Options
    Not personally but my nephew used Enfamil AR (full not mixed) after we had tried using regular formula with rice cereal which caused constipation and weight problems. His pedi said the Enfamil AR was much better because it is only rice starch and is much easier to digest than using the actual rice cereal and he did much better with it- minimal spit up and no constipation or weight problems.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just switched DS to Enfamil AR this week. I had called my Dr. and she gave me the OK to do the switch. So far no constipation for us, so I will keep doing two different formulas in mind. And I do believe that AR has much more nutrition than just adding rice cereal to the bottle. Also, I think AR stands for Acid Reflux, but I could be wrong.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mommy's Little Man
    Making hearts melt since 10/22/2011
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Pinterest
  • Options

I actually was told to go ahead and put a tsp of oatmeal or rice in her bottle since she was only two weeks old, i was not using formula at the time and would put some BM in a bottle with a little cereal...the pediatrician told me that oatmeal causes less constipation than rice.  She has Reflux but not the spitting up problem, she was literally choking every time she ate, somehow the acid would be coming up as the food was going down and there was several times her lips started losing their color, it was bad, but after the doc told me to do that it got better and he also told me that if i didn't have any pumped BM on hand to get the AR formula and I actually got the Target version of it, it has worked WONDERS and my baby girls is definately not getting constipated and is not having the choking issue anywhere near as frequently. Maybe a few times a day as opposed to several times per feeding! It has kept me from having to put her on Zantac and i am very happy about that!

• Options

Thanks for all the input!  Good to know that your daughter was not getting constipated on the AR.  I think my doctor might be confused about what the AR Formula.  He kept going on about how rice is empty calories and not to use it but the AR Formula is made to be the correct nutrition with added rich starch.  I think is is much different than just adding rice to the bottle.

imageprecbaby3:

I actually was told to go ahead and put a tsp of oatmeal or rice in her bottle since she was only two weeks old, i was not using formula at the time and would put some BM in a bottle with a little cereal...the pediatrician told me that oatmeal causes less constipation than rice.  She has Reflux but not the spitting up problem, she was literally choking every time she ate, somehow the acid would be coming up as the food was going down and there was several times her lips started losing their color, it was bad, but after the doc told me to do that it got better and he also told me that if i didn't have any pumped BM on hand to get the AR formula and I actually got the Target version of it, it has worked WONDERS and my baby girls is definately not getting constipated and is not having the choking issue anywhere near as frequently. Maybe a few times a day as opposed to several times per feeding! It has kept me from having to put her on Zantac and i am very happy about that!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"